Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 752 of 1503)

No fine for Tiger Woods

As it turns out, the report that surfaced yesterday about Tiger Woods being fined by the PGA Tour was erroneous. Tiger, although still peeved about what went down over the weekend at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, said that the PGA Tour has not fined him.

From the Washington Post:

“I’ve heard from the tour, and there’s no fine,” Woods said. “That was an erroneous report.”

Ty Votaw, a spokesman for the PGA Tour, said the original report of a fine was “inaccurate.” Votaw said Commissioner Tim Finchem had read and considered Woods’s remarks.

“There has been no process started with respect to any disciplinary action,” Votaw said by phone.

“The commissioner has reviewed the reports, and based on the reports that he read, Tiger’s comments related to the impact of the decision. He did not read them as an unreasonable attack or as being disparaging.”

We linked to a report by the Examiner yesterday about Woods being fined, although we’re not sure where the original report came from.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the PGA received backlash for the supposed fine and decided to renege. But if Tiger is even saying that it was an erroneous report, then maybe there really was no fine to begin with.

Either way, it’s still a lame rule. You can’t have golfers worried about a game clock when they’re dealing with a tough shot in the rough. It takes away from the excitement of the tournament and it puts unnecessary pressure on the golfers.

Related Content:

Tiger Woods fined by PGA

Lawrence Phillips faces up to 25 years in prison

Well, it’s good to see that Lawrence Phillips hasn’t changed one bit since getting out of the professional football business.

From ESPN.com:

Former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips was convicted of assault and other felony charges in San Diego.

A Superior Court jury found Phillips guilty Tuesday of seven counts. He had been accused of choking his girlfriend on two occasions in August 2005, once into unconsciousness.

He faces up to 25 years in prison when he is sentenced next month. Phillips already is serving a 10-year sentence for hitting three teenagers with his car in Los Angeles.

Here’s hoping Phillips drops the soap in prison and gets taken advantage of by some inmate nicknamed “Butt Plug.”

What a substantial waste of talent.

Jets shopping Thomas Jones?

The National Football Post is reporting that the Jets are gauging interest in running back Thomas Jones, but the Newark Star-Ledger and New York Daily News dispute that report.

A rumor on nationalfootballpost.com that the Jets are shopping veteran running back Thomas Jones to an NFC West team is not true, according to a person with knowledge of the club’s plans. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he’s not authorized to speak on the matter publicly.

Jones, the defending AFC rushing champ, is unhappy with his contract and missed most of the team’s offseason workouts. He’s scheduled to earn $900,000 this season in the third year of a four-year, $20 million contract.

The Jets seem content with going into the season with Jones, Leon Washington and Shonn Greene on their depth chart and seeing who emerges from the pile. Jones doesn’t become a free agent until 2011, so it’ll be interesting to see what the Jets do after the season if Greene (who is a rookie this year) flashes some potential.

I would assume that the future of the Jets’ backfield is Washington and Greene, although the team isn’t going to part with Jones until they see Greene in live action.

Marshall facing substantial suspension?

According to Mike Klis of The Denver Post, receiver Brandon Marshall could be facing a substantial suspension if he’s found guilty of a misdemeanor battery charge at his trial on Thursday in Atlanta.

Marshall’s trade request is secondary to his trial Thursday in Atlanta. If he’s found guilty of a misdemeanor battery charge, he could be suspended for a substantial period. If that happens, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Broncos dump Marshall for a bag of deflated balls.

But if he’s found innocent, then I think the Broncos will try to get Marshall’s hip healthy and hope he has another big year for them. Only then would he have trade value.

Marshall received a three-game suspension from the NFL in August of last year due to his off-field issues, but he appealed the decision and it was reduced to only one game. If Marshall is found guilty on Thursday, then commissioner Roger Goodell could view the situation as the receiver’s second official offense under the league’s player conduct policy and come down hard on him as Klis suggests in his article.

Now, what kind of suspension that entails I don’t know but given Goodell’s track record, it could be anywhere from three to 16 games. (Pacman Jones was suspended for an entire season, while Chris Henry was suspended eight games, Tank Johnson for 10 games and Michael Vick for six games.)

We’ll see what comes out of Marshall’s trial. One thing is for sure, if the Broncos intend to deal Marshall before the season, they better hope he doesn’t receive a guilty verdict on Thursday or else they’ll be hard-pressed to find a trade suitor.

Training Camp Notes: Smith, Sanders, Bowe

Carolina Panthers:
Receiver Steve Smith is expected to miss at least two weeks with a strained shoulder after suffering the injury in practice on Monday. Dwayne Jarrett is expected to fill in for Smith while he’s out, which is kind of like going from a corvette to a station wagon. (Charlotte Observer)

Indianapolis Colts:
Safety Bob Sanders is expected to meet with orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews soon. Sanders had another clean up procedure done on his knee this offseason and the Colts don’t know when he’ll be healthy again. He hasn’t practiced or played in game since Week 16 of last year. (Indianapolis Star)

Kansas City Chiefs:
Receiver Dwayne Bowe isn’t currently practicing with the Chiefs’ starters and apparently is in new head coach Todd Haley’s doghouse. Haley appears to be making an example of Bowe, who hasn’t responded well to KC’s new disciplined training habits. (Kansas City Star)

New England Patriots:
Tom Brady has yet to miss one practice since returning to action following ACL and MCL surgery. Brady continues to work out with a brace on his knee, although he’ll likely have to play with the brace the rest of his career. (Boston Globe)

Tampa Bay Bucs:
Receiver Antonio Bryant will be out for the next 3-4 weeks with a torn meniscus in his knee. Bryant could miss the entire preseason, but is expected to be healthy by Week 1. Still, the Bucs are thin at receiver and are implementing a new offense so Bryant’s injury is of concern. (Pewter Report)

Earnest Graham is listed ahead of Derrick Ward on Tampa’s depth chart, but considering the Bucs paid Ward like a starter this offseason, it’s wise not to read too much into this. (Buccaneers.com)

Miami Dolphins:
Former Hawaii product Davone Bess has been starting ahead of Greg Camarillo in Miami. Carmarillo appears to be completely recovered from ACL surgery, but Miami likes Bess’ speed and playmaking ability and see him as a starting flanker. (Miami Herald)

« Older posts Newer posts »