Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 858 of 1503)

Zack Greinke pitching like a man possessed

For those of you scoring at home, Royals’ starter Zack Greinke is on pace to win 30 games this season after picking up his second shutout and third complete game in a 3-0 win over the White Sox on Monday.

Thirty!

Zack Greinke was spectacular once again, pitching his second shutout and third complete game win overall en route to becoming the majors’ first six-game winner in the Royals’ 3-0 victory over the Chicago White Sox.

Greinke (6-0) gave up only six hits, did not allow a walk and struck out 10, needing just 104 pitches to continue his incredible start to the season. The 25-year-old became the third Royals pitcher to record wins in each of his first six decisions of a season, joining Jose Lima (2003) and 1985 World Series MVP Bret Saberhagen (1987).

In 45 innings this season, Greinke has allowed only two earned runs — three overall — on 30 hits and eight walks, with 54 strikeouts. His earned run average now stands at an astonishing 0.40.

Granted, Greinke was facing a lineup on Monday that featured three minor leaguers, but that certainly doesn’t take away what he has done to this point. He has been absolutely lights out and it’s nice to see a Royals player getting some pub for once considering that normally KC has already been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by this point in the season.

Hopefully Greinke continues to pitch well throughout the season and maybe the Royals (who are in first place by the way) can make a run of things in a winnable AL Central Division.

Mine That Bird will run in Preakness Stakes

Despite reports that stated he could miss the second leg of the Triple Crown, 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird will run in the 134th running of the Preakness Stakes on May 16.

Trainer Chip Woolley had wavered because the mile-and-three-sixteenths Preakness at Pimlico racecourse on May 16 is the shortest of the Triple Crown races and Mine That Bird performs better at longer distances.

“You cannot have a Triple Crown winner without having the Derby winner in the Preakness,” Woolley told the Pimlico racecourse website (www.pimlico.com).

“That played into our decision but the horse looks super. I have never been to Baltimore, but it looks like I won’t be able to say that in a few days.”

Kentucky-bred Mine that Bird, a 50-1 longshot ridden by Calvin Borel, won the Derby Saturday by 6 3/4 lengths, one of the biggest upsets in America’s most celebrated race.

The sport of horse racing would have taken a huge hit had Woolley pulled Mine That Bird from the Preakness Stakes – especially considering how much of a long shot winner Mine That Bird was at the Kentucky Derby.

The Triple Crown is such a rare feat in sports and just like Big Brown last year, it’s fun to get behind a horse that’s in the running for it. Hopefully Woolley doesn’t pull an about-face and pull Mine That Bird leading up to the Preakness.

Cubs place Carlos Zambrano on DL

The Cubs placed starter Carlos Zambrano on the 15-day disabled list after he strained his left hamstring while trying to beat out a bunt single during Chicago’s win over the Marlins on Sunday.

General manager Jim Hendry said doctors felt Zambrano would “probably need two to two-and-a-half weeks” to recover from the injury he suffered running to first base on a bunt single in the fifth inning of Sunday’s 6-4 victory over Florida.

Rather than add a pitcher, the Cubs recalled infielder Bobby Scales for the time being. “Because we don’t have to make a decision until Friday [Zambrano’s next scheduled start], and a lot of options could happen before Friday,” Hendry said.

The Cubs likey will recall a Class AAA starting pitcher for Friday’s game at Milwaukee, rather than using someone from their bullpen. “We’ll obviously have to cut back on some people’s work who have a chance to go Friday,” Hendry said of the potential minor-league call-ups.

Hendry ruled out right-hander Jeff Samardzija from making the start Friday because he has been working in relief the last 11 days. “I don’t think that’s the right thing to do for Jeff,” Hendry said.

I’m sure every Cub fan in the greater Chicago land area is thinking about one name right now: Jake Peavy.

10 MLB players to root for in the steroid era

When I was growing up, my friends and I used to walk down to an open field next to a church and play baseball with four rubber bases, one aluminum bat and a tennis ball.

On the way to the field, we used to have mock drafts where we pretended we were general managers picking players for our lineup. When we got to the field, we had to do our best to simulate what each player’s batting stance looked like and then hit like that player.

My favorite player growing up was Giants’ first baseman Will Clark, so after I drafted him I always had to bat lefty (which was a bit problematic since I was right handed and never mastered the art of switch hitting) and stick my right leg straight out in front of me in order to impersonate his stance. And just like “The Thrill,” I had to wear thick eye black and stick a wad of chewing tobacco (well, he had chewing tobacco, I had Big League Chew) in one of my cheeks.

Those are the memories that always make me laugh at myself as a kid. It’s also memories like those that also make me wonder what I would have done if I were a young baseball fan growing up in what should be known as “the steroid era.”

If I drafted Mark McGwire, I guess I would have had to put pillow cushions in each of my sleeves to replicate his big, steroid-enhanced arms. If I drafted Roger Clemens, I guess I would have had to mimic taking HGH before I took the mound and then subsequently pretend to give my girlfriend an injection just as the Rocket did to his wife. (And then lie about everything if I was questioned later about the allegations.)

And I guess if I had drafted Alex Rodriguez, I would have had to not only mimic the steroid use, but also tip one of my friends off about what pitch was coming so that he could pad his stats.

I feel bad for young baseball fans these days. Chances are that their favorite player is/was on the juice and therefore their sports heroes are cheating in order to gain a competitive edge. As it turns out, Will Clark was kind of a dick. But as far as we all know, he played the game the right way and never tried to gain an edge over his fellow players. And unlike A-Fraud, Clark would have rather cut off both his arms than tip an opponent to what pitch was coming.

In effort to help out the young fans across this fine nation, I’ve compiled a list of 10 MLB players (in no particular order) that people can root for as we drudge our way through the steroid era. As far as we know, none of these players have ever taken performance-enhancers, nor have they disrespected the game by playing solely for stats, money or anything else. These aren’t only good guys, but they’re also tremendous ball players that probably don’t get enough credit for staying clean in an unclean baseball fraternity.

Continue reading »

Broncos’ owner: ‘We had no other choice but to trade Cutler’

In an interview with Denver Post columnist Woody Paige, Denver owner Pat Bowlen discussed a variety of Broncos-related topics, including how Jay Cutler left the team no choice but to trade him.

“Honestly, I still don’t know what happened with Jay. I don’t want to throw him under the bus, but I made two phone calls (and there is proof, Broncos executives claim) and left voice mails with my cell number and asked him to call me, and he didn’t,” Bowlen said. “I don’t do e-mails. If Jay had called and said he thought the coach was (not a nice person) and he wanted out of here, I would have said, ‘Let’s work this out.’ But I heard nothing directly from him.

“Pick up the phone! That’s where we got off the rails. We had no other choice but to trade him. If (the trade talk) was the reason Jay left, he should have left.”

I feel for Bowlen because he was stuck in the middle of Cutler and new head coach Josh McDaniels during their feud. I think Cutler wanted out the moment Mike Shanahan was fired and he saw an opening when McDaniels attempted to trade for his former quarterback Matt Cassel. Cutler was trying to baby his way out by refusing to deal with the situation like a grown up and McDaniels’ ego wasn’t about to allow him to let a young quarterback bully him around in his first gig as a head coach.

So I believe Bowlen when he says Cutler never returned his phone calls and thus he had no choice but to trade the QB. What was Bowlen supposed to do? He had just hired McDaniels and I’m sure the new coach was telling him that the team could win without Cutler. In the end, he was forced to make a trade he didn’t want to make and now he just has to hope that everything works out in the end.

« Older posts Newer posts »