Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 848 of 1503)

Dolphins monitoring Anquan Boldin situation

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald writes that the Dolphins are still monitoring Anquan Boldin’s situation in Arizona and haven’t dismissed the idea of trading for the disgruntled wideout.

The fact is the Dolphins definitely, positively have not thrown in the towel on 2009 for any reason, much less the fanciful one that they realize they’re not a Super Bowl contender. Be serious. Does that sound like Tony Sparano or Bill Parcells to you?

I’m going so far as telling you the Dolphins are still monitoring the Anquan Boldin situation. Parcells thinks this kid is a monster! He recognizes there are problems with trading for him — compensation to the Cardinals and compensation of $7-$8 million per year to the player. But the Dolphins have definitely not at this point completely dismissed the idea of being active on the matter if it ever hits the front burner.

Here’s a thought: As we know, Parcells gets awfully antsy when he stays in one place for too long. He almost bolted Miami after one year, so it’s not a stretch to think that he’ll jet after the 2009 season for another new adventure.

Given this line of thinking, if Parcells loves Boldin and knows he might not be around next year, what’s from stopping him for putting a package together for two high draft picks in the upcoming years (maybe a first and third next year) for Boldin and trying to win it all this season? What does he care – he won’t be around in 2010 when Miami has to deal with the lack of compensation. And nobody would call him out on it because A) they would be getting a great player in Boldin and B) Parcells would say that he was trying to win.

This news rumor has very little to stand on now, but it’ll be interesting to see if it develops over the summer.

Lupica: Clemens sticks to fiction

In one of his recent articles, New York Daily News columnist Mike Lupica hammered Roger Clemens about what the former pitcher said on the “Mike & Mike in the Morning Show” for ESPN Raido.

McNamee is making it up. And Andy Pettitte is still “misremembering” a conversation he and Clemens once had about HGH. And of course the four reporters from the Daily News who have written the book “American Icon” about Clemens – Teri Thompson, Mike O’Keeffe, Christian Red and Nate Vinton – must be making it up for 428 pages, plus footnotes.

Then, referring to “American Icon,” Clemens said, “I’ve seen excerpts from the book and they’re completely false.”

He didn’t say which false excerpts he’d read. But then once you get Clemens off his talking points, almost everything becomes a brain buster.

He even suggested Tuesday that “common sense” had to tell you he wouldn’t take steroids, because of a history of heart trouble in his family. One of the people he cited was a stepfather who died of a heart attack. As if somehow they weren’t just related by marriage, but by blood as well.

So Clemens does add a new wrinkle, that he was worried about what steroids might do to his heart. You wonder how they could ever do as much damage as Clemens has done to himself over the last year and a half. Somehow he still wants that to be everybody else’s fault. The media’s most of all.

He is a little bit like Barry Bonds now, though Bonds does a much better job of keeping his mouth shut, probably because he has much better lawyers than Clemens, starting with Rusty the Lawyer down there in Houston. Bonds is as good as retired. So is Clemens. Bonds can’t hit home runs to change the subject, Clemens can’t strike people out.

What’s absolutely ridiculous about what Clemens said about his family’s history of heart conditions (besides the idiot comment he made about having heart issues because of his stepfather), is that this is his first mention of anything like that. He has never said that it would be “suicidal” of him to use steroids because of his family history – that was the first time since the steroid allegations came out that he referred to any kind of family heart history. Did he actually think that the American public was going to buy that? That’s what he and his crisis coach came up with over the past year?

Lupica’s right – Clemens should take a page out of Bonds’ playbook and just stay out of the public. Clemens does more damage to himself when he opens his mouth.

Tim Brown: Al Davis hates black athletes from Notre Dame

Former NFL great Tim Brown was recently elected into the College Football Hall of Fame and during an interview with Jimmy Shapiro, he dropped a bombshell about Raiders’ owner Al Davis.

On meeting Al Davis for the first time:

“Meeting Al (Davis) was pretty unique. I found out five or ten minutes after my first practice there that he hated African-American athletes from Notre Dame. And they literally told me that. They literally told me that because we’re known for using our education more than our athletic ability that he thought that I would be one of these guys that would basically take the money and run. I don’t know if that was a ploy to get me amped up, but it certainly worked.”

Wow. Tim Brown has managed to totally shock me, yet I’m not totally shocked. He says it so nonchalantly like, “Yeah, that’s just Al being Al. He hates black athletes from Notre Dame – no biggie.”

Former player says Red Sox taught players how to take steroids

According to former Boston infielder Lou Merloni, the Red Sox taught players how to use steroids safely.

“I’m in spring training, and I got an 8:30-9:00 meeting in the morning,” said Merloni, who was in the Red Sox minor-league system from 1996-97 and played in the big leagues with them from 1998-2002.

“And I walk into that office, and this happened while I was with the Boston Red Sox before this last regime, I’m sitting in the meeting. There’s a doctor up there and he’s talking about steroids, and everyone was like ‘Here we go, we’re gonna sit here and get the whole thing — they’re bad for you.’ No. He spins it and says ‘You know what, if you take steroids and sit on the couch all winter long, you can actually get stronger than someone who works out clean, if you’re going to take steroids, one cycle won’t hurt you, abusing steroids it will.’ He sat there for one hour and told us how to properly use steroids while I’m with the Boston Red Sox, sitting there with the rest of the organization, and after this I said ‘What the heck was that?’ And everybody on the team was like ‘What was that?’ And the response we got was ‘Well, we know guys are taking it, so we want to make sure they’re taking it the right way’… Where did that come from? That didn’t come from the Players Association.”

Merloni said he couldn’t remember the name of the doctor or what year the meeting took place. Boston’s general manager at the time, Dan Duquette, adamantly denied the accusations to Boston.com.

“It’s ridiculous. It’s totally unfounded,” Duquette said. “Who was the doctor? Tell me who the doctor is? If there was such a doctor he wasn’t in the employ of the Red Sox. We brought in doctors to educate the players on the major-league drug policy at the time at the recommendation of Major League Baseball. This is so ridiculous I hate to even respond to it.”

Merloni couldn’t even remember the year that the meeting took place (you’d think he could pinpoint when a meeting like that would take place), so it’s hard to believe what he claims. It’s also a little surprising that a former player would share that kind of information unless it was for some kind of personal gain.

But don’t forget that John Rocker also claimed that a doctor was hired by the MLBPA to instruct A-Rod, Ivan Rodriguez and Rafael Palmeiro on how to properly use steroids after a spring training lecture in 2002.

Granted, Rocker was a freaking nut, but the same was said about Jose Canseco, who looks a little saner these days.

Dolphins revisiting the idea of signing Taylor

Jason Taylor might wind up getting his wish of re-joining the Dolphins after all.

During a radio interview this morning on Miami’s 790 AM, Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano admitted the team was re-considering the possibility of bringing back free agent defensive end Jason Taylor, who is also on the Patriots radar.

”Yeah, we’re talking. When I say ‘we,’ it’s myself, Jeff (Ireland, GM), and Bill (Parcells, head of football operations) have talked about Jason and had several conversations about it,” Sparano said. “We’ll revisit it now that the draft is over and we’re getting ready to look down the road at OTAs here pretty soon, so we’ll revisit it again and see where we are.”

When asked if the Pat’s interest in the veteran free agent would influence Miami’s decision, Sparano answered, “It doesn’t affect us one way or another. I think that at the end of this process it’s going to be about – from our end – our interest in Jason and how we see him fitting into our plans. If at that point he ends up in another place, that’s nothing I can control.”

Previously, the Dolphins stance on Taylor was that his re-signing might stunt the growth of some of their younger players, particularly Matt Roth.

As long as Taylor doesn’t hold the Dolphins over the coals in terms of a contract (and why would he at this stage of his career?), signing him seems like a no-brainer. Teams are always in need of quality pass-rushers and Taylor could instill some leadership for a young Miami defense. The Dolphins could sign him to a one-year deal and if he’s ineffective, they can move on next year.

« Older posts Newer posts »