Category: News (Page 160 of 199)

Rick Pitino paid for mistress’s abortion

Per ESPN…

Louisville coach Rick Pitino told police that he had consensual sex with and paid for an abortion for the woman who has been charged with trying to extort him, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported on Tuesday.

Karen Cunagin Sypher was federally charged in April with demanding cars, tuition for her children and finally $10 million. Police interviewed Pitino, who is married, regarding the incident last month, and according to the newspaper, he said that he gave the woman $3,000 to have an abortion.

Police records obtained by the Courier-Journal show that Pitino said he had sex with the then Karen Cunagin at a Louisville restaurant where he had been drinking on Aug. 1, 2003. He denied Cunagin Sypher’s allegations that he raped her at the restaurant and then again later at a different location.

A couple of weeks later, Cunagin Sypher called Pitino and told him she was pregnant.

They arranged to meet at the condominium of Louisville strength coach Tim Sypher, whom she did not know at that time but would later marry.

Sypher and Cunagin Sypher are now estranged and divorce proceedings have begun.

Regarding the alleged rape…

In one of her interviews, Cunagin Sypher did not disclose that there was a witness to the event at the restaurant, Vinnie Tatum, an executive assistant to Pitino. According to Abbott’s report, Tatum said he didn’t see what happened but heard “only the sounds of two people that seemed to be enjoying themselves during a sexual encounter.”

Pitino does not plan to take a leave of absence from coaching at Louisville.

Powe close to signing with Cavs?

Per Yahoo! Sports…

Free-agent forward Leon Powe will sign a two-year contract for the league minimum with the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday if the team’s doctors are satisfied with the progress of his injured left knee, a league source said.

Powe tore his anterior cruciate ligament and cartilage in his knee during Game 2 of the Boston Celtics’ first-round series against the Chicago Bulls. He had reconstructive surgery on May 5 – his third major knee surgery – and has been rehabilitating in Los Angeles. Powe hopes to be back on the court by this season’s All-Star break, and the Cavaliers are willing to take a low-risk gamble on him pending the results of his physical.

Over the past two seasons with the Celtics, Powe has been highly productive in the limited minutes he’s received. He had a PER of 21.04 in the 2007-08 season and 17.25 in 2008-09. (15.00 is average.) He’s an energy guy with a great nose for the ball and a limited offensive game. Sound familiar? That’s exactly how I’d describe Anderson Varejao.

Which brings me back to the problems I have with the Cavs’ offseason. I don’t mind the addition of Shaquille O’Neal, but if he and Varejao (or Powe, if he signs) are on the court at the same time, LeBron is going to find that it’s going to be tougher to get to the hoop. Other than Zydrunas Ilgauskas, none of the Cavs’ bigs can shoot the ball effectively from outside the lane.

This wouldn’t be much of a concern if Cleveland didn’t depend so much on LeBron’s one-on-one game. If he can’t get to the rim as easily, he’ll be settling for jumpers, and the Cavs’ offensive efficiency will go down.

Kleiza headed to Greece

Olympiakos has plucked another young NBA player in his prime. Denver’s Linas Kleiza is headed to Greece.

Per Yahoo Sports…

Denver Nuggets restricted free-agent forward Linas Kleiza(notes) has agreed to a two-year, $12.2 million contract with Greek team Olympiakos, his agent Bill Duffy told Yahoo! Sports on Monday.

The contract has an opt-out clause, which allows Kleiza to again become a restricted free agent next summer.

Duffy said that while Kleiza attracted interest from other NBA teams, his client’s restricted free-agency status limited his options.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — the NBA needs to do away with restricted free agency. Most RFAs are left in limbo for a year, and instead of playing the season for peanuts, guys like Josh Childress and Linas Kleiza are bolting for Europe. If they were unrestricted, they would have probably stayed in the NBA.

Celtics re-sign Glen Davis



The Associated Press is reporting that the Celtics have re-signed Glen “Big Baby” Davis to a two-year deal.

Davis had a PER of 10.77 for the season, which is well below average. But without Kevin Garnett in the lineup, he raised his game in the playoffs, averaging 15.8 points and 5.6 rebounds in 36.4 minutes per game.

ESPN is reporting that the deal is worth $6.3 million over two seasons.

Over the years, there have been more than a few players who have been able to parlay a strong playoff performance into a bloated contract — just ask Knicks fans about Jerome James — but it looks like teams showed restraint given Davis’ mediocre regular season performance. This contract seems reasonable, though minutes are going to be hard to come by with Garnett’s return and the C’s decision to sign Rasheed Wallace and Shelden Williams.

Rubio to stay with DKV Joventut?

Yes, according to TwinCities.com citing a report from a Spanish newspaper.

In the latest episode of the Ricky Rubio soap opera, the Spanish newspaper El Periodico is reporting that the frustrated point guard has informed his current Spanish team of his intention to fulfill the final two years of his contract.

The saga continues. This contradicts the statement by the team president that Rubio’s tenure with the team is over.

Rubio may turn out to be an NBA star, but right now David Kahn looks a little silly for taking Rubio and Jonny Flynn back-to-back without a plan in place to get Rubio out of his contract with his Spanish team.

« Older posts Newer posts »