Category: News (Page 161 of 199)

Team Terrorism Aces Team England

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Olympics+Day+6+Badminton+4Ytn0yTcVEnl.jpg

Before we delve into this, let me just say: granted badminton is not exactly popular in America, nor is it even considered much of a sport by many. However, while the sport itself may not be too important here, the implications and precedent delivered by the event occurring within it very well could be. Anyway the story: The Team England has pulled out of the World Badminton Championships in Hyderabad, India after receiving terrorist threats. I found this story off the BBC News page:

Performance director Ian Moss said: “It is a disappointing outcome, especially after we had enjoyed a very good preparation at our holding camp in Doha, Qatar, last week.

“Our athletes were extremely well prepared for these championships but, at the end of the day, personal safety must take priority over performance.

“This was a unanimous squad decision and is not reflective of the efforts made by the organising committee to create the safest environment possible for all athletes.”

Is not reflective of the organizing committee? Well, it seems to me that if a team containing last year’s Olympic silver medalist (Nathan Robertson, he’s in the picture) cancels their trip to your tournament because of terrorist threats, it might mean you need to get your security a bit more in order.

That aside, it’s not often, if I may use a cliche here, that “The terrorists truly win.” I mean, Team England bowed out and down on this one (BTW Team Scotland and Team Wales plan to represent at the tournament). They have most definitely given into terrorist demands here. Hell, they even got someone in a market with basically no interest in the sport to write a story about it. I certainly am not helping their cause either, though you’ll need to go to the link above to find out who the group was.

But let’s not be too harsh here, would you feel like hitting a shuttlecock if you thought you might be bombed out of your hotel room that night? Wait a second, have I made a new double entendre? Anyway, one’s personal safety should be their biggest concern.

Getting the gold is one thing, but returning home to your family is another. I’m not bashing them for their decision, but I’m still not happy with the situation. In the end, of course the terrorists are to blame, but the organizers of the event need to be able to supply the competitors with a safe arena of play.

Falcons ink White to six-year deal

Roddy White’s holdout worked. The Falcons signed him to a six-year deal worth $50 million.

ESPN has the details…

A source said White’s deal is for six years and $50 million ($18 million guaranteed). It makes him the third-highest paid receiver in the NFL behind Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald, who averages $10 million a year, and Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers.

Greg Jennings just signed a three-year extension worth $26.35 million (if he hits his incentives), so White’s deal doesn’t average as much, but has more guaranteed money.

T-Wolves pick Rambis as new head coach

It appears that the Minnesota Timberwolves’ search for a head coach is finally over.

Per ESPN…

Long considered a potential heir apparent to Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson, Rambis was lured away from Jackson’s staff by a four-year deal believed to be worth in excess of $8 million.

Wolves owner Glen Taylor confirmed ESPN.com’s report in an interview with the St. Paul Pioneer Press late Saturday, telling the newspaper that he expects Rambis to formally sign the contract Monday.

“Kurt, with his experience playing and coaching for a winning organization and working under people like Pat Riley, will bring a lot to our organization,” Taylor told the Pioneer Press. “In meeting with him and talking to him, I know he’s very excited about having an opportunity to help build his own team.”

This looks like a good hire by the T-Wolves. Rambis has spent several seasons learning from Phil Jackson, who is one of the very best coaches in the history of the league.

Who will have cap space in 2010?

ESPN’s Chad Ford lists nine teams that will have significant cap space next summer. [Insider subscription required.]

1. Nets ($25-$27 million)
2. Knicks ($24 million, assuming they don’t sign anyone for longer than a year)
3. Heat ($20-$22 million)
4. Timberwolves ($16-$18 million)
5. Bulls ($13-$15 million minus whatever they give Tyrus Thomas)
6. Thunder ($14-$15 million)
7. Rockets ($12-$14 million minus whatever they give to Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes)
8. Clippers ($10-$11 million)
9. Kings ($9-$10 million)

This assumes a cap of $53.6 million, which is an optimistic view. The cap could drop below $50 million.

It takes about $14 million of space to sign a max-contract player, so even under these optimistic circumstances, there really are only five teams — the Nets, Knicks, Heat, T-Wolves and Thunder — that will have that kind of space. (The Bulls are likely to keep Thomas and the Rockets are likely to retain Landry and Hayes, though they could make another move here or there to put them in position to add a superstar.)

Of these five teams, the Heat look to be in the best overall shape. Their projected payroll already includes Dwyane Wade, so they have enough to woo another superstar (LeBron, Bosh, Amare, Boozer?) to Miami. They also have a few good young players (Michael Beasley, Daequan Cook and Mario Chalmers) under contract, and the city boasts a great climate and nightlife. But the real draw is playing with Wade, who has already proven that he can win a championship if he has a little help.

Continue reading »

LeBron James will not sign an extension this summer

It was kind of a pipe dream anyway, but LeBron isn’t going to sign the extension that the Cavs have offered, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

“I signed a contract in 2006 with an option,” he said. “It would make no sense for me to sign that contract if I didn’t keep my options open. I’ll let you fill in the blanks.”

James is playing this one the right way. If he re-ups now, then he loses the leverage necessary to keep GM Danny Ferry’s feet to the fire in terms of bringing in some long-term help. Shaquille O’Neal is fine for a year or two, but he’s most definitely a short-term fix.

The bad news is that with the long-term commitment the team made to Anderson Varejao, the Cavs aren’t projected to have any cap space next summer if they’re lucky enough to re-sign LeBron. It looks like Ferry sees the writing on the wall — with the salary cap likely dropping to $50-$51 million next season, he wasn’t going to have enough money to sign LeBron and another superstar, so he re-signed Varejao to make this year’s Cavs team as good as possible in the hopes that a Finals appearance or a championship would be enough to keep LeBron in Cleveland.

« Older posts Newer posts »