Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 929 of 1503)

Redskins sign Haynesworth for $100 mil – are Snyder and Cerrato out of their minds?

The Washington Redskins have agreed to terms with free agent defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth on a seven-year, $100 million contract. The deal also includes $41 million in guaranteed money and the deal could reach $115 million in total.

Redskins fans are either jumping for joy right now or jumping off a bridge. If they’re smart, they might take the latter route, because Vinny Cerrato and Dan Snyder might have just sunk the fate of the franchise into one player.

Haynesworth is no doubt the best free agent on the market. His blend of size and athleticism make him one of the most feared defensive tackles in the league and he can dominate on a weekly basis. He truly can be a one-man wrecking crew when he wants to and is talent is unquestioned.

That said, there’s a very good chance now that Haynesworth is the highest paid defensive player in the league, that he could become awfully complacent. There’s an even better chance that he never lives up to his contract and this could be a move that costs Cerrato is job (which I’m sure Redskin fans wouldn’t mind).

The other issue here is that the Skins didn’t have any cap space to begin with. They started the free agency period $1 mil under the cap, so how they were able to sign Haynesworth to a $100 million contract is beyond me. Massive cuts have got to be coming because Haynesworth is set to receive $41 million in the first three years. Shawn Springs is probably a goner, but who else?

On the bright side, if one player was worth the money this free agency period, it was Haynesworth. He’ll make life easier for guys like Jason Taylor and Washington defensive coordinator Greg Blanche will probably sleep well this weekend knowing the possibilities he has with his front seven. It’s not like the Redskins overpaid for a mediocre talent; Haynesworth is elite, but for the sake of Redskin fans, I hope he plays elite throughout the length of his contract.

NFL Free Agency: No deal for Warner, Colts re-sign Saturday, Rex Grossman the Lion?

According to NFL.com, Kurt Warner and the Cardinals remain far apart on a new contract, which means the quarterback will hit the open market at 12:01 a.m. Friday morning. Warner is still likely to re-sign with Arizona, but the Cards can’t feel entirely comfortable that he’ll be allowed to test the market.

– Despite saying he would like to play for the Steelers, Jeff Saturday re-signed with the Colts for three more years. Saturday was apparently willing to play guard if he went to Pittsburgh, but he’s a fan favorite in Indianapolis and apparently well liked by new head coach Jim Caldwell.

– Free agent quarterback Rex Grossman (Bears) says he would be interested in playing for the Lions next season. He must think he can beat out the other 95 quarterbacks that Detroit has on its roster.

The National Football Post is reporting that there’s a 70% chance that T.J. Houshmandzadeh stays a Bengal. Not that the report is inaccurate by any means, but I highly doubt Housh stays in Cincy if a contender comes along and outbids the Bengals. Still, this is positive news for Cincy fans.

– In a series of moves, the Dolphins signed free agent free safety Gibril Wilson, who was cut by the Raiders earlier this week, and re-signed strong safety Yeremiah Bell to a new four-year, $20 million contract.

According to FOXSports.com, the Cowboys are reportedly shopping strong safety Roy Williams. So if any team is in need of an extra linebacker that they can line up at safety, Williams might be their guy.

Vick approved for release from prison

Suspended NFL quarterback Michael Vick has been given the okay to be released from federal prison. According to a report from the Associated Press, Vick will be allowed to return to his Hampton home in Virginia (under supervision) because there is no room at a halfway house for him.

Vick is serving a 23-month sentence at the federal penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation at a home he owned in eastern Virginia’s Surry County. He also admitted to participating in the killing of several underperforming dogs.

Vick’s lawyers have said they expected him to be moved any day into a halfway house in Newport News. But because of a lack of space, Vick will be released instead to his Hampton home at some point on or after May 21, said the official, who has knowledge of the case but requested anonymity because the individual was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Vick will be on electronic monitoring and will only be allowed to leave home for activities approved by his probation officer, the official said. He is eligible for release in July.

According to Vick’s lawyers, the former Virginia Tech standout plans to resume his pro football career. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who suspended Vick without pay, has repeatedly said he will review Vick’s status after the legal proceedings are completed.

Officials of some other NFL teams have said they are not interested in Vick because they would rather not face the wrath of pet lovers and groups such as PETA, which has been a constant fixture at Vick’s hearings.

There’s only one owner with enough brass between his legs to sign Vick once the Falcons release him (and they’ll have to release him because nobody will trade for him) and that’s Al Davis. Do you think Davis cares about PETA members being outside his team’s compound? Not a chance.

It’s time to officially start the Vick-to-Raiders campaign.

Pete Prisco’s Top 50 NFL Free Agents

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com ranks his top 50 NFL free agents and to no one’s surprise, he has Titans’ defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth ranked No. 1. No other free agent should be ranked ahead of Haynesworth given his age and talent. But anyone that thinks he isn’t a major risk is fooling themselves.

Haynesworth wants $72 million, as in, seventy-two million dollars. He would be the highest paid defender in the league and while his talent is unquestioned, he’s coming off a career season in a contract year. Would anyone be surprised if he caught Tommie Harris’s disease and his production drops off after he gets paid? I wouldn’t, and I firmly believe that if he winds up signing with the Redskins, there’s a great chance he’ll be a major disappointment considering Washington is the black hole for defensive linemen.

I think Prisco hit the nail on the head by ranking Ravens’ center Jason Brown No. 2. Even though guys like Matt Birk (Vikings) and Jeff Saturday (Colts) will be available, Brown is the best center on the market and can help anchor the interior of somebody’s line for years to come.

Where Prisco loses me is his ranking of the cornerbacks.

5. Bryant McFadden, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers: He’s a solid starter and teams are always looking for corners. Plus, his best football will come in the next three years.

8. DeAngelo Hall, CB, Washington Redskins: He’s not nearly as good as he thinks, but he played well for the Redskins after the Raiders let him go last season. But how does he play after he gets paid? He had to play well in Washington to get another big contract.

12. Philip Buchanon, CB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: He started last year for the Bucs, and at 28 he still has some good football left. He’s another player who is a perfect second corner.

31. Chris McAlister, CB, Baltimore Ravens: He’s getting up in years and has injury issues last season, but he can still help a team for a year or two. When he’s healthy, he can still cover well.

33. Ronald Bartell, CB, St. Louis Rams: He’s a young player who emerged last year in his first as a starter. He’s the kind of rising player teams need to sign.

McFadden is a good young player, but I don’t know if he should be listed in the top 5 of available free agents. Hall proved last year in Oakland that he’s an overrated and overpaid, while Buchanon is a classic underachiever and McAlister (as Prisco noted) is getting up there in years.

But how is Bartell the fifth best cornerback on the market? There’s no way. He’ll be overpaid (he’s likely to command $40 million over five years), but he offers more upside than every free agent Prisco rated higher outside of maybe McFadden.

Michigan to save season ticket holders a whopping $3.57 a game in ‘09

After putting their fans through a horrific 3-9 season last year, the powers at be at the University of Michigan have decided to lower the prices for season ticket holders in 2009. After paying an average of $53.57 per ticket last year, the university has lowered the average to $50.

Michigan StadiumAthletic director Bill Martin told The Associated Press on Thursday a season-ticket holder will pay $50 on average for a ticket after paying $53.57 last year.

“In this challenging time economically, this is our way of thanking our fans who have supported us for decades,” Martin said. “Unlike most schools, we had an opportunity to lower prices for football tickets.”

So instead of seeing UM get beat by Toledo for $160.71 like last year, season ticket holders can see their beloved Wolverines lose to Toledo for only $150 this year. Wow, thanks.

It’s a nice gesture and something the university didn’t have to do, but when one slice of that cardboard-tasting Dominos pizza costs $37.50 at Michigan Stadium, the savings just don’t amount to much.

« Older posts Newer posts »