Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 826 of 1503)

Will tonight be the night the Big Unit wins No. 300?

Randy Johnson will go for career win No. 300 when the Giants take on the Nationals tonight at 7:05 p.m. ET. Johnson hasn’t won back-to-back starts all season and he’s coming off a win over the Braves on May 27.

Some believe the Big Unit is a shoe-in to win No. 300 tonight because he’s taking on a Washington team that’s just 14-36 on the year and lost six straight before beating San Fran 10-6 last night. But the Nats have scored the 12th most runs in baseball and are ninth in home runs, which Johnson has served plenty of this season (10 in 10 starts to be exact).

Johnson’s performance so far this season matches his stats line, which is to say he has been very average. He’s currently 4-4 with a 5.71 ERA and while he’s pitched well his last two outings, he also hasn’t reached the seventh inning in eight of his 10 starts. He simply runs out of gas when the game reaches the fifth and sixth inning, which means the Giants bullpen has often been the deciding factor in whether or not the Big Unit is victorious.

I don’t want to piss on his parade, but I don’t see Johnson winning tonight. Jordan Zimmerman is throwing for the Nats and the Giants don’t have a good enough offense to jump out to a big lead early and allow the Big Unit to cruise. As much as I would love to watch history tonight, I’ve got a gut feeling Johnson will be stuck at 299 by the end of the night.

Still, the Giants are always in tight ball games, so it would be cool to see Johnson throw six strong innings and then watch as the bullpen tries to preserve the victory for him. As much as SF closer Brian Wilson gets jacked for games, it would also be sweet to see him have to come in for a save in ninth with Johnson’s No. 300 hanging in the balance.

Agent: Young hasn’t requested a trade from Titans

After telling WMAR-TV in Baltimore on Monday that he wanted a chance to play or be traded, the agent for Vince Young is now saying that his client wants to stay in Tennessee and has not requested a trade.

Young, who told Baltimore television station WMAR earlier this week that he is focused on winning back the starting job in Tennessee, but that if that doesn’t happen, that he would be ready to move on.

“Definitely I want to be in there playing ball and picking up where I left off, winning games and having a good time with my teammates and fans. But at the same time if them guys don’t want me in there, it’s time for me to make a career change for myself. The fact is I’m ready to play ball, and if they’re not ready for me to play ball, somebody is.”

Major Adams, who represents Young, said his client has not asked for a trade, nor does he have any desire to be moved away from the Titans.

“Vince’s desire has always been to compete for the starting quarterback job in Tennessee,” Adams said. “Even before they drafted him, they asked him if he thought he could compete for the starting role, and he said yes. He has always been a starter and that is his mindset.

“He has not asked to be traded, and in fact, is going to an event at Bud Adams’ ranch this weekend. Plus, he was in there working out [Monday. If he didn’t have a desire to stay there, he wouldn’t be doing any of that.”

This sounds like an agent trying to do damage control after his client opened his mouth a little too wide during an interview.

To be fair, Young never said that he wanted or asked to be traded. But he did hint that if the Titans don’t “want him to play” then he’d move on and find someone who will. Either way, he needs to worry more about competing with Kerry Collins and let the rest take care of itself.

He proved to be a little bit of a mental midget last season and now would be a great time for him to prove everybody that he can still be a starter by beating Collins out this summer. It would behoove him not to cry about the fact that he’s not a starter anymore and instead, go out and earn his job back.

Rodney Harrison expected to retire

After garnering little to no interest on the free agent market, former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison is expected to retire.

One of the most storied players in Patriots [team stats] history, Harrison will be introduced as the newest member of NBC’s broadcast team during a conference call tomorrow, according to a source with knowledge of Harrison’s plans.

And while the possibility of a comeback can never be discounted, Harrison is already on record that when he walks away from the game, it will be for good.

Reached this afternoon, an NBC spokesman declined comment. NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol will hold a conference call tomorrow at noon to announce the network’s new talent, and Harrison is expected to be on that call.

“If that’s what he chooses to do, he’ll be great,” Sanders said. “He’s very photogenic. He talks well, carries himself well, speaks real proper. He looks like he was born for the camera.”

A lot of people considered Harrison to be one of the dirtiest players in the game, but there’s no denying he went hard every game and left it all on the field. He was always in great shape (which is why he played so long), always played hard and always demonstrated excellent leadership.

Brandon Marshall avoids suspension

According to a report by the Denver Post, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall will avoid suspension stemming from an early March disorderly conduct arrest in which the charges were eventually dropped.

“The NFL has confirmed that based on their own investigation there will not be a suspension or any discipline issues as a result of Mr. Marshall’s arrest on March 1,” said Marshall’s attorney Harvey Steinberg. “I had been in touch with the NFL since right after the incident occurred and we were under the belief that what took place would not rise to the level of any form of discipline.”

Marshall is still facing a court case later this month in Atlanta stemming from misdemeanor battery charges against his former girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley. That case, however, is expected to be continued to a later date, which means onceMarshall recovers from offseason hip surgery, he can concentrate on the 2009 season.

Let’s hope Marshall doesn’t celebrate the news by boozing tonight and punching an innocent bystander in the face.

Lewis, Ochocinco finally speak

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis says that he has spoken with Chad Ochocinco and that he anticipates the receiver showing up for the team’s June 18 minicamp.

Lewis acknowledged after Tuesday’s practice that he talked to Ochocinco a few days ago, a rarity in an offseason Ochocinco has been ducking calls from the 513 area code.

“The biggest thing I told Chad just the other day is with a lot of the new things we’re doing he’s going to have to play catch up,” Lewis said. “He’s excited about that and is working hard. Chad learns football very quickly and he’ll be able to get his feet on the ground. What he found last year when you’re working with a team and you’re doing football, there’s a lot more stress on it. When he gets here I will judge how much football I’ll allow him to do until he proves he’s in the shape our players are in.”

The Ocho didn’t report until mandatories last year, which he limped through because he needed arthroscopic ankle surgery. Then after missing the first week of training camp, he missed the last two weeks of the preseason with a separated shoulder.

Asked if The Ocho is going to be his starting receiver in two weeks, Lewis said, “I’ll see him when I see him.”

It’s about time Ochocinco earns a starting spot. It’s been a long time since he’s had to work for a starting gig and this is the perfect offseason for Lewis to drum up some much-needed competition in Bengals camp. Ironically, the person likely to give Ochocinco his biggest competition is Chris Henry, who has apparently been outstanding so far in workouts.

If Ochocinco shows up to camp and outperforms Henry, then he deserves the starting gig. But if Henry beats him, then Ochocinco should accept his role (whatever it may be) and stop being a distraction.

« Older posts Newer posts »