Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 751 of 1503)

Martinez wins Phillies’ debut

Pedro Martinez gave up three runs on seven hits over five innings in his Phillies debut on Wednesday as Philadelphia crushed the suddenly lifeless Cubs 12-5 at Wrigley. Pedro also struck out five to earn his first win of the season.

From ESPN.com:

Pitching in a major league game for the first time since last September, Martinez mixed it up, changed speeds and lasted five innings to get the victory for his new team, the Philadelphia Phillies, in a 12-5 rout of the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday night.

“It was really fun to actually get back to the game. Last year was a horrible year. It was a very tough year,” Martinez said of his final injury-slowed season with the New York Mets. “I actually feel good and it shows.”

Pedro threw 64 of his 99 pitches for strikes and topped out at 93 mph on the radar gun. A 30-pitch fifth inning ended his night but overall, he looked sharp for a guy that could immediately help a World Series contender.

Vick-to-Panthers rumors won’t die

While head coach John Fox continues to dodge questions about whether or not the Panthers are interested in Michael Vick, rumors persist that the free agent quarterback is bound for Carolina.

From FOX Sports.com:

“As I’ve said before, you always keep all options open,” Fox said Wednesday. “I can’t say that’s something that we’re heavily involved in at this point. I hate ruling out really anything.”

The rigid philosophy has left the Panthers on the short list of teams that haven’t officially ruled out signing Vick, who is attempting a comeback after completing a prison sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation.

Fox wasn’t budging under a barrage of questions Wednesday, and apparently wasn’t concerned about the television debates on the merits of Carolina signing Vick.

“I don’t think we should be high on the radar, but I don’t like to limit anything,” Fox said.

This is one of the hot rumors in NFL circles right now, but it’s still doubtful that the Panthers will pull the trigger on Vick. They like all three of their quarterbacks (Delhomme, Josh McCown and Matt Moore) and have also been a team that has avoided distractions since the Rae Carruth incident.

I think Fox is just being coy with the media.

Youkilis suspended five games, won’t appeal

The Boston Herald is reporting that Kevin Youkilis has been suspended five games after charging the mound and throwing his helmet at Tigers’ starter Rick Porcello (who has also be suspended five games) in the second inning of Boston and Detroit’s game on Tuesday night. Youkilis won’t appeal the suspension.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that Kevin Youkilis will indeed start serving his five-game suspension tonight.

The first word out of the clubhouse was that Youkilis, who along with Tigers pitcher Rick Porcello was suspended five games for their altercation last night, was going to appeal Major League Baseball’s penalty. Youkilis was in the Red Sox’ original lineup.

But Francona, on his way up to his pregame press conference, mentioned that Youkilis will instead honor the suspension and sit the next five games.

Youk = everyday player suspended for five games.

Porcello = starting pitcher suspended for five games.

Advantage: Tigers.

Here’s the video of Youkilis charging the mound (with complimentary rock music). Take notice of the sissy helmet throw and how the 200-pound Porcello hip-tosses the 220-pound Youkilis to the ground.

Training Camp Notes: Browns no-huddle, Bob Sanders, JaMarcuss Russell

Cleveland Browns:
Eric Mangini says that the Browns’ quarterbacks have been running the no-huddle since the first day of OTAs and every day during training camp. Mangini wants to create more tactical advantages this season to keep defenses guessing, which was a foreign concept to Romeo Crennel and Butch Davis when they were head coaches in Cleveland. (Cleveland Scores)

Indianapolis Colts:
Jim Caldwell says it’s only a matter of time before Bob Sanders is healthy again, although the head coach admitted that the safety’s knee problems could keep him out of the Colts’ season opener. (Indianapolis Star)

Oakland Raiders:
Beat writer David White says that JaMarcus Russell continues to follow good practices with bad ones and that the third year quarterback still has timing issues with his receivers. Still, with Jeff Garcia battling a calf injury, Russell’s starting job appears to be safe for now. (San Francisco Chronicle)

Houston Texans:
Rookie linebacker Brian Cushing will miss the next 2-3 weeks with a sprained left LCL injury. Cushing is expected to miss Houston’s first two preseason games, but the team is hoping that he’ll be healthy enough to play in the third. Zac Diles will fill in at strong-side linebacker while Cushing is out. (Houston Chronicle)

New York Jets:
The Jets have increased their contract offer to Leon Washington and reportedly are now willing to go as high as $4.5 million a year for the running back. No word yet on if Washington will accept the deal. (New York Daily News)

Crabtree might not sign until September

According to a report by the San Jose Mercury News, 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree might not sign a contract until September at the earliest.

The key: (Eugene) Parker doesn’t want to budge, well, at least until September, on his demands for a slot-busting deal that would get Crabtree something close to one of the biggest guarantees among the rookie deals of ‘09, despite his being drafted 10th.

Parker’s reputation, for now and in recruiting for future No. 1 picks, is at stake.

The bigger key: The 49ers aren’t budging either, well, at least until September, on their insistence that Crabtree’s deal remain generally in line with his No. 10 slot and beneath the guarantees of the deals for the players selected ahead of him.

The 49ers’ desire to be an unbully-able team is at stake.

The largest key: Crabtree’s absence might be jeopardizing his ability to produce right away, but he’s not jeopardizing any serious money until the week of Sept. 13–that first game check.

This is ridiculous on the part of Crabtree’s agent, who is trying to get his client a better deal than what his draft slot would garner. It doesn’t matter that the consensus was that Crabtree should have been taken in the top 5 because he wasn’t – he was taken with the 10th overall pick and thus should be paid like a 10th overall pick.

I side with the 49ers in this situation. They shouldn’t have to pay a player based on what draft slot his agent felt his client should have been taken in. While it would be incredibly frustrating not to have their first round pick contribute for an entire season, the Niners can’t give into Parker’s demands because then every agent will try to get his client a more lucrative contract than what the player’s draft slot is worth.

The NFL rookie salary structure is already messed up as it is. If Crabtree (again, the No. 10 pick) gets paid like a 2nd or 3rd overall pick, then the situation will provide further proof that the league has to change how its rookie salary structure is set up.

« Older posts Newer posts »