Page 509 of 2956

Two women suing Brett Favre for sexual harassment

According to ABC News, two women are suing Brett Favre for sexual harassment after he made “lewd passes” at them while they were massage therapists for the Jets.

Christina Scavo and Shannon O’Toole, both former massage therapists for the New York Jets, filed suit against Favre, the New York Jets and Lisa Ripi, a woman who hires massage therapists for the team, in the Supreme Court of the State of New York today.

In the suit, Scavo alleges that Favre sent text messages to another unidentified massage therapist, asking Scavo and the unidentified woman to “get together” with Favre.

Scavo said that in 2008 while Favre was with the New York Jets, he treated her like a “hanging slab of meat.” In the suit she claims he wanted a three-way with her and another therapist.

Favre allegedly texted the unidentified therapist, writing, “Brett here, you and Crissy want to get together, I’m all alone,” according to the lawsuit.

Favre allegedly sent another text message reading, “Kinda lonely tonight, I guess I have
bad intentions.”

Scavo claimed that after she refused Favre’s advances and had her husband, Joseph Scavo, call Favre to demand an apology, both Scavo and the other plaintiff, Shannon O’Toole, were never offered work with the Jets again.

Scavo’s husband said he confronted the quarterback to stop soliciting his wife and asked for an apology, but Favre “responded in an inappropriate manner and refused,” according to the lawsuit.

This is what Jenn Sterger should have done if she was serious about wanting Favre to be punished for “harassing” her: file a lawsuit and let the courts deal with it. Instead, Sterger and her overpaid lawyer demanded that the NFL punish Favre and then stated how disappointed they were that the league only fined him. Get real.

When these women first made headlines with their Favre story, some people thought they were just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame and follow in Sterger’s footsteps. But this suit proves that they mean business.

Favre won’t be able to duck the court system like he did with the NFL when it came to the Sterger investigation. The Supreme Court isn’t going to fine him $50,000 for lack of cooperation and send him on his way. They’re going to come after him hard.

This just proves that our pasts will come back to haunt as at some point.

Marvin Lewis out as Bengals’ head coach?

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco (85) talks with head coach Marvin Lewis during the second quarter of their game against the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis on November 14, 2010. UPI /Mark Cowan

“Black Monday” in the NFL got started with a bang when the Browns fired Eric Mangini, but the news wire has been awfully quiet since then.

Until now, at least.

A team source tells Yahoo! Sports that Marvin Lewis will not return to the Bengals next season, even if he’s asked back. The NFL Network also reported the same thing earlier this morning, so it appears as though the story has legs.

ESPN’s Joe Schad reports that Lewis is very interested in the opening at the University of Pittsburgh and he may try the college ranks for a few years. The Pitt job recently became available when Mike Haywood decided to strike the mother of one of his children.

No matter where Lewis winds up, it was time for him to get out of Cincinnati. He’s had three losing seasons in the last four years and word has it that he’s become frustrated with the way owner Mike Brown runs things. It’s well known that the Bengals have one of the smallest scouting staffs in the league and while that may work for a team like the Cowboys, it hasn’t worked for Cincinnati.

Before Lewis arrived in the “Natti,” he was a heck of a defensive coordinator for the Ravens and Redskins. If he wanted to return to that roll someplace else, he would have no shortage of opportunities (the Texans just fired their DC on Monday). That said, whether it comes from the pros or the college ranks, he should receive another offer to become a head coach. One NFL team that may be interested in his services is the 49ers. (Although they appear to be set on hiring an offensive-minded coach after the debacles that were Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary.)

Strength of Schedule: Playoffs, Week 1

For those of us playing fantasy football (in one form or another) during the NFL playoffs, I thought it would be worthwhile to calculate end-of-year strength of schedule. I won’t be updating the SOS data throughout the playoffs, but I should be able to post a table each week with updated matchups.

What am I looking at?

Below you’ll see a table with a list of team names on the left and a list of positions (including PPR data) along the top. If a square is pink, it means that the matchup is tough. If it’s green, it means it’s a favorable matchup.

It’s important to note that this is NOT straight fantasy points allowed. I removed the bias of schedule by looking at the opponents of each defense and how they fared in their other games. For example, if a particular defense faced a series of great QBs, then that is taken into account in these tables.

For those of us who are going to play fantasy football through the playoffs, I thought it would be worthwhile to calculate strength of schedule for the first week of the playoffs. I’m not going to be updating SOS throughout the playoffs, but I should be able to post an updated table each week with SOS data updated through W17.

How do I use SOS?

Generally speaking, I use strength of schedule as a tiebraker between two similarly ranked players. Let’s say I’m trying to decide between starting BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Cedric Benson. All else being equal, these two players are very close in my mind. But if BGE has a great matchup and Benson has a bad matchup, the choice is clear. In fact, if BGE just has a mediocre matchup while Benson has a bad matchup, I’d probably go with the Law Firm.

Be careful not to read too much into these tables. You aren’t going to bench Chris Johnson in a bad matchup unless you have a bona fide RB1 with a good matchup waiting in the wings.

Obviously, all the Saints are good starts this week, and you’d want to stay away from most of the Eagles given their matchup with a stingy Packer defense.

There needs to be less talk, more action in the NFL CBA discussions

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a letter to the league’s fans on Monday, assuring them that the owners and players will be able to come to an agreement on a new CBA deal by next season.

This is what he said in his letter (via ESPN.com):

“I know we can and will reach an agreement,” Goodell wrote. “My goal as commissioner now is to help our teams and players find a solution that is fair to everyone and ensures that football becomes more popular, accessible, and fun. We want the next decade to be the best yet for our fans, and I’m ready to work day and night to make that happen.”

What Goodell wrote is all well and good but fans don’t need a letter, they need a football season next year. There seems to be a lot of talk coming from Goodell about how a deal can be worked out, yet it’s January and a new CBA contract is still not in place.

As the situation currently stands, there will be a lockout later this year. That’s the only thing that matters right now. And until the owners and the NFLPA can come to an agreement, the only football that fans will be able to enjoy is the 11 games that remain in the current season.

I’m still of the mindset that the two sides will agree to a new deal and there will be football again next year. But it would be nice to see a little less talk out of guys like Goodell and more action.

« Older posts Newer posts »