Page 1303 of 2956

Line of the Night (11/23): Matt Bonner

Looking at him, Matt Bonner might be the most unimpressive player in the NBA, but the guy can shoot, as evidenced by his 6 of 8 performance from 3PT range in the Spurs’ 112-98 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks. On the season, Bonner has hit 26-55 (47%) from deep and will make teams pay if they double off of him.

With the win, the Spurs are now 6-6 after struggling with some injuries early in the season. Newcomer Richard Jefferson is playing pretty well (15.0 ppg, 47% shooting), but it’s going to take some time for the team to work out the kinks.

Broncos fighting amongst themselves

Marred in a four game losing streak, the Broncos are starting to take frustrations out on themselves.

According to a report by ESPN.com, receiver Brandon Marshall got into a shouting match with rookie running back Knowshon Moreno, who gave Marshall a two-hand shove to get away from him. Marshall was upset with Moreno after the rookie fumbled at the goal line during Denver’s loss to the Chargers last Sunday.

Moreno, who gave Marshall a two-handed shove to get away, said he didn’t begrudge Marshall for his outburst because everybody is tired of losing.

“We’ve got a lot of emotional players on our team. I’m an emotional person myself,” coach Josh McDaniels said following Denver’s fourth straight loss. “Sometimes that happens. I’m not saying it’s good, as long as people can work things out. Obviously we don’t want to make scenes or problems for ourselves on the sideline. But there are a lot of things that happen on the sideline that involve emotion.”

“I think everybody needs to look at themselves first,” Marshall said. “I’m going to go back and watch film on myself and see what I’m doing wrong, what I changed from last year. How can I help move the ball down the field? Get the ball? I’m going to look at myself first, starting with film from last year, seeing if I changed anything, if my routes aren’t the same, if I’m not catching the ball as well. I’m going to start there.”

It’s no surprise that the Broncos are frustrated considering that a month ago they were 6-0 and seemingly running away with the AFC West. Now they’re in the midst of a four game skid and looking up at San Diego in the division.

Winning is a cure-all, so until Denver starts stockpiling victories again, McDainels is going to have to keep his team focused and together. Thus far, he and his coaching staff haven’t done a very good job of figuring out how to get this team back on the right track and now they’re in quicksand because the losses are piling up.

McDainels and Co. don’t have much time to figure things out. They host the Giants on Thanksgiving Day and another loss could send Denver into a deeper hole than they’re already in.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Bill Cowher turns down Bills

According to the Buffalo News, Bill Cowher told the Bills that he isn’t interested in interviewing with the team at this time.

Apparently, he wants to wait until end of season before considering his options. But the refusal would seem to take him out of the running for the Bills.

The Bills are expected to sit down with former Denver coach Mike Shanahan within a week.

Their pursuit of the two high-profile coaching names is proof that Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. is willing to break with his tradition of hiring modestly-priced head coaches.

It’s good that Wilson is doing his due-diligence when it comes to seeking a replacement head coach. He needs to aim high and hopefully he’ll land one of the marquee names that won’t just be a great head coach, but someone that can also rebuild the franchise from the ground up.

It’ll be extremely interesting to see where Cowher winds up next season if he does decide to coach. Does he want a project like the Bills or Browns? Or does he want to step into a situation where the team already has its roster set, but just needs more on-field direction like in Dallas? Time will tell.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Bucs’ coach Morris strips Bates of defensive coordinator duties

Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris has relieved Jim Bates of his defensive coordinator duties and will take over the play-calling responsibilities for the remainder of the season.

From the St. Petersburg Times:

Under Bates, Tampa Bay’s defense is ranked 26th overall in the NFL and last against the run, allowing 168.9 yards per game. Only the Detroit Lions have given up more points than the 29.4 per game allowed by the Bucs this season.

Bates becomes the second coordinator hired by Morris and Dominik to leave since the start of the season.

The Bucs fired offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski 10 days before the start of the regular season, saying he had trouble calling plays and that his passing scheme wasn’t NFL quality. They replaced him with quarterbacks coach Greg Olson.

I’m not criticizing the decision because at least now the Bucs will revert back to the Tampa 2, which is a scheme that better fits their personnel. But how could Morris and Dominik be so far off when they hired Jagodzinski and Bates this offseason? These were the guys that they hired, yet both coordinators couldn’t even make it through one season.

That said – if someone isn’t getting the job done (and Bates clearly wasn’t), then why continue to let him fail? If Morris doesn’t think Bates is the right fit, then there isn’t any point in waiting until the end of the season to fire him. If Morris proves that he can be the defensive playcaller, then he might as well find that out now instead of waiting until next year.

We’ll see if the move pays off. Morris certainly has his work cut out for him this Sunday, because the Bucs travel to Atlanta to take on an offensive that can put some points on the board.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Report: Notre Dame’s Clausen punched by fan

According to a report by ESPN.com, Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen was punched in the face by an irate fan outside a South Bend resturant early Sunday morning.

The report states that Clausen has a swollen eye from the incident, although he’s still expected to play this weekend against Stanford.

That person said Clausen was “sucker-punched” by a fan as he left an establishment after having dinner with his parents.
The fan allegedly said something to Clausen and/or a female acquaintance.

A South Bend police spokesman said that no police reports were filed over the weekend involving Clausen, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The newspaper also reported that the name of the bar was CJ’s and that a bartender at the establishment said that Clausen had been there with family members and other Irish upperclassmen after Notre Dame’s loss to Connecticut on Senior Day.

If you’re an Irish fan, why punch Clausen? Out of all the players and coaches that have under performed on that team this season, Clausen would be the last guy you would punch, right? (I’m being factious by the way – fans shouldn’t be touching any player or coach no matter how much Charlie Weis screws the pooch.)

Either way, things are definitely getting a little testy in South Bend these days.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

« Older posts Newer posts »