Page 1229 of 2956

Lawyer wants court’s help to allow Leach to coach in Alamo Bowl

According to SI.com, the lawyer for Texas Tech’s Mike Leach says that the suspended coach did nothing wrong in the treatment of receiver Adam James and wants to court’s help to allow Leach to coach in the Alamo Bowl on January 2.

The motion for a temporary restraining order was filed Tuesday in Lubbock. An in-chambers hearing was set for Wednesday morning in the 99th District Court.

Leach was “begged to work something out to avoid a confrontation,” said a person familiar with the inquiry who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

That person also said Leach late last week postponed a meeting related to the inquiry and refused to sign a letter saying “no one injured would be returned to work out without doctors’ permission.”

The school’s attorney left a voice mail message with Leach’s attorney that the university needed a letter of apology by noon Monday, the person said.

It did not arrive.

You can read the rest of the SI.com article here, but what this situation boils down to is a bunch of he said, she said circumstances. James says that he was mistreated, while Leach (through his lawyer) is saying that the receiver was dealt with properly.

Maybe this is just my interpretation through the media, but Leach seems like a first class a-hole and that there was some wrongdoing that went on in Lubbock. But again, I fully admit that that’s the opinion I’ve developed while listening to the media, which we all know can be misleading at times. This could very well be a situation where a player is overacting and is making a bigger deal out of this than it is. That said, what would James have to gain in this situation outside of devising a plan to get rid of Leach?

It’ll be interesting to see if Leach is the second coach let go in the Big 12 this season due to alleged player mistreatment. Mark Mangino “resigned” at Kansas in early December after several players said that he mistreated them.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

The Bengals were robbed for the 2010 Pro Bowl

The 2010 Pro Bowl rosters were announced on Tuesday and some familiar names will be playing in the annual all-star game again.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Brett Favre all made the roster, as well as Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Ray Lewis.

But one team that was absolutely robbed when it came to the AFC roster was the AFC North champion Bengals, who were shut out altogether. Cornerback Leon Hall was royally screwed, and a case could be made for Jonathan Joseph and Cedric Benson as well. (Although Benson faced stiff competition at running back in the AFC, with Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew and Ray Rice all deserving of spots.)

One cool note about the NFC roster is that Eagles’ playmaker DeSean Jackson will be the first player in NFL history selected to the Pro Bowl as both a position player and a kick returner.

You can check out the Pro Bowl rosters for both conferences at NFL.com.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Derek Jeter Exclusive G2 commercial & behind the scenes video

Gatorade is in the process of launching new ads and products for 2010 and was gracious enough to share exclusive behind the scenes video footage of Derek Jeter’s recent commercial shoot for Gatorade’s low-calorie sports drink “G2.”

Check it out:


As the story goes, Jeter was only required to do five of his popular jump throws and three slides for the commercial, but he told director Adam Berg that if he swallowed one spoonful of cinnamon that he’d do 10 jumps and six slides. Obviously Berg couldn’t muster the strength to get the full spoonful down!

Gatorade also gave us a sneak peak of the final G2 TV ad that will be airing soon:


That’s a great commercial – I love how the beat times up with what the athletes are doing.

Should the Hornets trade Chris Paul?

Common sense says “no.” But Bill Simmons, the self-proclaimed VP of Common Sense, says it’s not such a crazy idea after all. He has one caveat: It has to be a “Godfather”-type offer (one the Hornets couldn’t refuse).

Fake Trade 8A: Houston trades Aaron Brooks (expires in 2011) with T-Mac, Scola and Brian Cook (all expire in 2010) for Chris Paul and the Peja-Songaila-Posey cap-killing trio. Considering Houston’s deep pockets, it would have to do it — how else could the Rockets acquire a top-10 player? And New Orleans would fall under the tax (saving them about $16-17 million this year, plus another $25-30 million next year) and replace a decent chunk of Paul’s production with a Brooks/Darren Collison combo.

Fake Trade 8B: Same trade as above, only with Miami giving up three ECs (Jermaine O’Neal, Mario Chalmers and Dorell Wright) plus Michael Beasley. Not as good a deal as the Houston one. Although the thought of a Wade-Paul backcourt just made me pee on myself.

Fake Trade 8C: Cleveland deals the Shaq/Ilgauskas ECs with Jamario Moon (expiring 2011), J.J. Hickson (ditto) and Jawad Williams/Darnell Jackson (EC throw-ins) for CP3, Emeka Okafor, Peja, Peterson and Songaila. That knocks the Hornets well under this year’s tax, gets them out of $26.6 million of Peja-Songaila-Peterson in 2011 AND dumps Okafor’s monster deal ($70 million through 2014). Sure, it’s the biggest salary dump trade of all time. But shouldn’t New Orleans do the Grizzlies routine for a year or two (super-low payroll, rebuild through the draft) rather than losing $25-30 million a year to be a fringe contender these next three years? And if you’re Cleveland, don’t you have to take a risk like this to keep LeBron?

Looking at the Hornets’ cap situation, they’re not going to have any real cap flexibility until the summer of 2012, which is the same summer that Paul can opt out of the final year of his contract. The Hornets could create about $12-$13 million of cap space in 2011 if they are able to move James Posey.

The Hornets’ current dilemma is largely due to the decision to trade for Peja Stojakovic in 2006. GM Jeff Bower took a risk, thinking he’d get the Sacramento-era sharpshooting Stojakovic, one capable of spacing the court for Paul to do his work. Unfortunately, Stojakovic isn’t the scorer that he once was, and he’s such a defensive liability that it’s tough to give him big minutes. Moreover, he has a monster contract that will pay him another $14 million next season.

So do the Hornets continue to play the luxury tax for a team that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere? Unless someone wants to take on one of these big contracts, no major changes can be made until the summer of 2011, and by then West will be unsigned and about to turn 31.

The Okafor/Chandler trade was a sign that owner George Shinn isn’t afraid to spend, so I don’t see him blowing up the franchise (i.e. trading Chris Paul) to save money. He’s more likely to ride out these bad contracts, tinker around the edges, and try to create a situation to re-build around Paul in 2011 or 2012. Paul can’t opt out until 2012, and I don’t think he’ll want to leave — he has an owner who is willing to spend, but the gambles — Stojakovic, Posey, Peterson — simply haven’t worked out.

There is enough talent in New Orleans for the Hornets to be a perennial playoff team until they can ride the Stojakovic/Peterson/Posey storm out. Unless you’re in dire fiscal shape (and like I said, the Okafor trade is a sign that that’s not the case), you don’t trade away a superstar who is in the middle of his prime.

« Older posts Newer posts »