Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 939 of 1503)

Griffey spurns Atlanta, signs with Seattle instead

In one of the stranger baseball stories this offseason, Ken Griffey Jr. has decided not to sign with the Braves, instead he’ll head back to Seattle, where he started his career 19 years ago.

Here’s how the story unfolded:

The Journal-Constitution first reported Tuesday that Griffey had told a close friend he would sign with the Braves. Wren said Wednesday that communication with Griffey’s agent, Brian Goldberg, had gone smoothly until after that AJC report, which Goldberg and Griffey said was inaccurate.

Griffey told MLB.com later Tuesday that he was still torn between the pull of Seattle, where he had spent the first half of his career, and the Braves, where he would be just a one-hour flight from his wife and children in Orlando, and where he would spend spring training just a 20-minute drive from his home.

By noon Wednesday, Braves officials seemed concerned by the silence from Griffey’s camp and said they expected a decision from him by Thursday.

It’s been a week of misdirection plays for Griffey. Even as it was being widely reported last week that he would sign with Seattle, Griffey called Jones and a Braves official to express interest in playing for the Braves.

He hadn’t been one of the Braves’ preferred options for their outfield job entering the offseason, but the free-agent pool had thinned, plus the Braves didn’t have much room left in their payroll and didn’t want to trade top prospects to acquire an outfielder via trade.

Suddenly the Griffey option looked pretty good, and the Braves figured they would pair the left-handed slugger, one of only six players with 600 career homers, in left field with right-handed hitting Matt Diaz.

As the story goes, Griffey was apparently ticked off that the AJC reported that he chose the Braves over Mariners. Whether or not that was Griffey’s official reason for turning around and signing with the Mariners is uncertain, but nevertheless this situation developed oddly.

Several AJC writers are taking a beating because of their original report. Braves fans are claiming the paper ruined the team’s shot of landing Griffey, but in defense of the AJC, stories are printed like this all the time. If Griffey honestly based a decision of this magnitude (i.e. one that involves his family, where he’ll work and where he’ll live for the next year) off of what a newspaper printed, then that’s ridiculous. Did the paper jump the gun? Probably, but it’s their job to report that the news and they reported what they had.

Either way, Griffey is on his way back to Seattle after signing a one-year contract, and the Braves are still in need of a fourth outfielder.

Report: Colts to cut Marvin Harrison

NFL.com’s Adam Schefter reports that the Indianapolis Colts will cut 36-year old Marvin Harrison soon.

Marvin HarrisonIt’s no longer a question of if Harrison, 36, will be let go. It has become a question of when. It will happen in the coming days, certainly before the new league year starts a week from Friday, but few are sure exactly when.

But make no mistake: It is happening. The Colts no longer can afford to carry Harrison, who is scheduled to have a $13.4 million number for an Indianapolis team that is starving for more salary-cap room to deal with free-agents-to-be such as CB Kelvin Hayden.

If the Colts were to release Harrison, his $13.4 million number instantly would come off the books, saving the team $7 million against the cap. Harrison still would count $6.4 million in dead money, but more importantly, there would be the $7 million savings.

Plus, the Colts have been bracing for this day, drafting Anthony Gonzalez in the first round and grooming young WRs Roy Hall and Pierre Garcon.

This day was coming. Harrison can still play and he can still play effectively in the Colts’ offense, but this decision comes down to money. Indy can’t afford to pay a 36-year old wide receiver $13.4 million when they’ve got holes on the defensive side of the ball. Plus, Reggie Wayne is a true No. 1 and Anthony Gonzalez is more than capable of being a solid No. 2.

The question now becomes: where does Harrison go from here? Unless he takes offense to the Colts releasing him, why couldn’t he return to Indy at a reduced price? The Eagles might be another option for him because he’s from Philly. The Jaguars are always in need of wideouts and the Dolphins could use a boost to their receiving corps, too.

Either way, I don’t foresee Harrison retiring if/once Indy does release him. He’ll wind up somewhere next year.

NFL offseason link dump: Suggs tagged, long-term contract for Asomugha coming?

Terrell Suggs– The Ravens officially assigned the franchise tag to defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs. The team will now turn its attention to signing Suggs long term, as well as figuring out what to do with pending free agents Ray Lewis, Jason Brown and Bart Scott.

– The Sacramento Bee is reporting that the Raiders could be close to re-signing top free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a long-term contract.

– Speaking of the Raiders, the National Football Post reports that Oakland is actively shopping defensive end Derrick Burgess.

– The Colts re-signed cornerback Kelvin Hayden to a five-year, $43 million contract, which includes $22.5 million in guarantees.

– Rams assigned the franchise tag to free safety O.J. Atogwe, who has been the team’s best defensive back over the past couple years. If Atogwe signs the tender, he’ll be paid $6.34 million guaranteed this season.

– The Buccaneers placed the franchise tag on wide receiver Antonio Bryant, who emerged as a true playmaker last year. He’ll get $9.88 million for one season if he signs the tender.

A-Rod Pre-Steroid Training Tapes

Before making it to the big leagues as a star player for the Mariners, Rangers and Yankees, Alex Rodriguez showcased his raw talents for scouts in this pre-steroid training tape for Atom.com. The footage is shocking.

A-Rod Pre-Steroid Training Tapes

And people say that steroids don’t help baseball players that much. This footage should put an end to that debate.

Chiefs switching to 3-4 – is it a mistake?

Derrick JohnsonUnder new defensive coaches Gary Gibbs and Clancy Pendergast, the Chiefs are planning to move to a 3-4 defense, which is a scheme new GM Scott Pioli is used to coming over from New England.

But considering the Chiefs’ personnel on defense, is the move wise?

Kansas City’s best linebacker is Derrick Johnson, who operates best in space and when given the opportunity to run around and make plays. In a 3-4, he’s more likely to stay put and allow the action to come to him, which may or may not be something he can excel at.

The Chiefs also drafted defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey with their first round pick last year and it’s uncertain at this point how he fits into a 3-4 front. He’s probably not big enough to play nose in a 3-4 and lacks ideal size to be an end in the scheme as well. At LSU, he excelled as a three-technique pass rusher and someone that is better when he reads and reacts. By implementing a 3-4 scheme, KC is really playing away from Dorsey’s strengths.

There is no arguing that the 3-4 can be an effective scheme. Baltimore, New England and Pittsburgh have been running the front for years and have been incredibly successful in doing so, but they also have the personnel to pull it off. Granted, Pioli has an entire offseason to get players that fit his scheme, but it’s unclear at this point how some of the better KC defenders will fit in.

« Older posts Newer posts »