Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 923 of 1503)

Coast Guard ends search for missing NFL players

A couple days ago it was reported that two NFL and two former University of South Florida collegiate players were lost at sea off the Gulf of Mexico while on a deep sea boating trip. The two NFL players were Raiders’ special teamer Marquis Cooper and former Lions’ defensive lineman Corey Smith, while the two former USF players were William Bleakley and Nick Schuyler.

When the news first broke, I posted just a small piece on it hoping that the next time I would have to address the story, it would be another small blurb saying that the four men had been found. I kept waking up and checking Internet reports throughout the day hoping that the four men would be returned safely to their families.

But it truly saddens me to write that the search has been called off for Cooper, Smith and Bleakley, all of which were never found. The lone bright spot in this story is that Schuyler was rescued a couple days ago after authorities found him clinging to the bottom of a boat in the middle of the Gulf. But unfortunately Schuyler couldn’t help the Coast Guard find the other three boaters.

I started reading little bits and pieces of this news story throughout the past week, but could never finish the entire articles. I just kept thinking about the three men being carried off into the harsh conditions and what they must have gone through in trying to survive. Schuyler even said that at one point, a helicopter was circling over the four men, but it never spotted them because the conditions were so bad and the visibility was so low.

My heart goes out to their families and to Nick Schuyler, who has no doubt suffered greatly. I still hold out hope that the three men will eventually be rescued but for now, let me just say that my prayers go out to them and their families.

Broncos will not trade Jay Cutler

For those Lions, Vikings or Bucs fans that were hoping the Broncos still had Jay Cutler on the trade block, you can forget it because according to head coach Josh McDaniels the disgruntled quarterback will not be dealt.

Jay Cutler“Let me be as clear as I can about this,” McDaniels said when reached at his office Tuesday afternoon. “We are not trading Jay Cutler — period.”

Let those words ring around the NFL, the Internet, the blogosphere, sports-talk radio. No matter how much trade talk there is regarding Cutler, it is not originating from Denver and, to the disappointment of many, it is not happening. In fact, further proof that Denver fully intends to keep Cutler is evidenced in its action. McDaniels and Cutler are scheduled to meet next week.

Now that McDaniels has made things clear on that, he must work on bridging the gap between he and Cutler that was created by the original trade talk. Cutler apparently refuses to sit down and talk with McDaniels right now, which is completely ridiculous. Cutler needs to buck up and realize that this is professional football and trades happen. It would also be wise for McDaniels to seize control and show a little faith in Cutler or else this situation will get worse before it gets better.

2009 Fantasy Baseball Preview: First Basemen

All 2009 Fantasy Articles | 2009 Position Rankings

If you do a detailed search for rankings of first basemen for your 2009 fantasy league, the only consistent thing you’ll see is: 1. Albert Pujols, STL.

After King Albert, first basemen ranked 2 through 7 is a toss up. Some fantasy pundits believe Detroit’s Miguel Cabrera is the next best 1B after Pujols, while others still feel that Philadelphia’s Ryan Howard deserves the No. 2 spot. One of the Yankees’ big offseasons signings, Mark Teixeira, is also getting some love behind Pujols, while Milwaukee’s Prince Fielder, Minnesota’s Justin Morneau and San Diego’s Adrian Gonzalez are floating anywhere from No. 4 to No. 7.

What’s the deal? After Pujols, how do you value the first basemen that fall 2 through 7? By home run totals? By age? In the case of Fielder, by the size of their waistbands? First and foremost, you can’t go wrong with any of the first basemen in the top 7, if not the top 10. They’ll all give you good to great home run and RBI totals and if you’re lucky, a couple will even hit .300 and produce 100 runs.

In an effort to sort out the mess, here’s the way we see the top 7 for first basemen in 2009:

Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals
There’s no debate – Pujols is still the Ferrari of first basemen. Sure, you’ll have to worry about him breaking down throughout the season, but word is he’s healthy and he has always been consistent. There’s no reason he won’t accomplish what he did last year (.357-37-116-100) and there’s no reason to believe he’s slowing down at 29. He’s a stud – there’s not much else to say.

Miguel CabreraMiguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
Many owners expected Cabrera’s move from South Florida to Motown to be an instant hit from the start but much like the Tigers themselves, Miguel struggled early on. But unlike Detroit’s miserable season, Cabrera wound up finishing with solid numbers, hitting .292 with 37 home runs and producing 127 ribbies and 85 runs scored. Now that he’s got a full season in the AL under his belt, there’s no reason to believe he won’t top the .300 mark in average this year and come close to the home run, RBI and run totals he produced a season ago. A healthy Curtis Granderson and Gary Sheffield would go a long way in helping Cabrera put up big numbers in ’08, as well. Added bonus: he still qualifies as a third basemen, too, which gives him more value than Ryan Howard, Mark Teixeria, Justin Morneau and Prince Fielder.

Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees
Teixeira could make a case for being No. 2 behind Pujols, but not unlike other fantasy pundits, we believe that Cabrera could have an MVP-type season this year in Detroit. Teixeira won’t match Howard’s home run or RBI totals, but he could bat close to 50 points higher with much fewer strikeouts. Teixeira will also benefit from playing in a loaded Yankees’ lineup and at 28 years old, he’s in the prime of his career.

Ryan Howard, Philadelphia Phillies
After signing a three-year, $54 million contract in early February, Howard doesn’t have to worry about his future until 2012. Howard is what he is at this point; he’ll hit 45-plus home runs, produce 140-plus RBIs and score 100-plus runs. His average will also hover in the .260-range and he once again won’t be afraid of the K (he had 199 strikeouts in ’08). Some feel as though Howard is still the second best option at first base after Pujols, but we favor Cabrera’s potential and Teixeira’s balanced numbers more. Still, Howard’s a beast and if you’re able to grab him early in your draft, you could focus on players that can hit for average later on.

Justin Morneau, Minnesota Twins
Morneau is just clutch ain’t he? Not only does he hit for average (.300), but his high RBI totals also make him a fantastic catch and he has 25-plus home run potential. He’ll also chip in close to 100 runs, 50 doubles and has a solid 76-walk to 85-strikeout ratio. We’ll give him the nod over Fielder because while he can’t match Prince’s home run potential, Morneau trumps him in all other categories and is only two years older.

Prince FielderPrince Fielder, Milwaukee Brewers
What happened? After a fantastic 2007 campaign, Fielder ditched the meat for an all-veggie diet and his numbers dropped last year. He’s still going to hit 40 home runs and produce 100-plus RBIs, but his average will likely top out around .280 and he won’t hit many doubles (30) or triples (2). At 25, he still has loads of potential, but if you draft him you’re essentially banking on him hitting 40 home runs again, which is certainly doable in a hitter-friendly Miller Park. If he doesn’t come close to that dinger total, however, chances are you’re going to be left a little disappointed. The good news is that according to recent reports, Fielder has reported to spring training in good shape. Maybe the two-year, $18.5 million contract he signed in late January motivated Prince to slim down and keep his weight in check.

Adrian Gonzalez, San Diego Padres
Gonzalez is the San Diego Padres offense. If he didn’t play on such a bad team and in a pitcher’s park, he might make the leap over Fielder in the rankings. Still, his 36 home runs, 119 RBIs and 103 runs cannot be ignored and his .279 average is better than guys like Howard and Fielder. We’ll give Gonzo the nod over Lance Berkman, who is still a quality player (.312-29-106-114) but slumped down the stretch last year after a hot start and is seven years older.

Here is our official ranking of first basemen. Remember, David Ortiz, Travis Hafner and Jim Thome qualify as DH’s only.

1. Albert Pujols, STL
2. Miguel Cabrera, DET
3. Mark Teixeira, NYY
4. Ryan Howard, PHI
5. Prince Fielder, MIL
6. Justin Morneau, MIN
7. Adrian Gonzalez, SD
8. Kevin Youkilis, BOS
9. Lance Berkman, HOU
10. Joey Votto, CIN
11. Derrek Lee, CHC
12. Chris Davis, TEX
13. Carlos Delgado, NYM
14. Carlos Pena, TB
15. Aubrey Huff, BAL
16. James Loney, LAD
17. Pablo Sandoval, SF
18. Conor Jackson, ARZ
19. Paul Konerko, CHW
20. Adam LaRoche, PIT
21. Casey Kotchman, ATL
22. Mike Jacobs, KC
23. Ryan Garko, IND
24. Lyle Overbay, MIL
25. Todd Helton, COL

Titans could file tampering charges against Redskins

According to the Nashville City Paper, Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt is considering filing tampering charges against the Redskins for their signing of Albert Haynesworth.

Albert Haynesworth“We were interested in signing Albert. We tried to sign him, and unfortunately, it didn’t work out. That’s always something we can address with the league, but at this point in time, we’re more focused on the two gentlemen we have here today,” Reinfeldt said.

There were reports of a deal in place between the Redskins and Haynesworth in the days leading up to the opening of free agency, but Haynesworth’s agent Chad Speck refuted those reports.

Fisher mostly dodged the subject when asked.

“They clearly worked a deal that was good for Albert and it must have been good for Washington. That’s all I’m going to say,” Fisher said.

Give me a break. There are a lot of teams that bend the rules when it comes to free agency – that’s why you see so many signings within the first couple hours of the first day free agents can sign with other teams. In the end, it’s probably not worth Reinfeldt’s time as he has better things to do (i.e. finding a replacement for Haynesworth).

Bengals interested in Laveranues Coles

After losing T.J. Houshmandzadeh to the Seahawks on Monday, the Bengals have emerged as a possible candidate for free agent Laveranues Coles, who was released by the Jets last week.

Cincinnati has bigger needs than wide receiver, including finding a new center, adding a quality pass-rusher and finding overall depth at running back and along the offensive line. But with plenty of cap space available (the Bungles started with $26 million at the start of free agency), Coles could be a solid addition to a team that lost a lot of production at receiver when Housh signed with Seattle.

Of course, the Bengals could wait until draft day to address the wide receiver position; in fact, now that the Seahawks signed Housh there’s little chance they would draft Texas Tech wideout Michael Crabtree in April. That means Crabtree could fall to No. 6 and if Cincy pulls the trigger, they could get significantly younger at the receiver position while also filling the hole vacated by Houshmandzadeh.

There are obvious risks involved with waiting until the draft to address the receiver position. One, Crabtree might not fall to No. 6 and two, he is scheduled to have foot surgery soon and might miss some time this summer recovering. There’s obviously no guarantee that he’ll develop into a productive pro, either.

The Bengals could probably afford to offer Coles a four-year deal in the $6 mil per year range. If they do, they know they would be signing a consummate pro that has produced throughout his entire career. Therefore, signing him (if he’s even interested) seems like a better choice and then Cincy could look to addressing one of their other needs ni the first round.

« Older posts Newer posts »