Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 816 of 1503)

Marshall a no-show at Broncos’ minicap

Broncos’ receiver Brandon Marshall failed to show up to Denver’s mandatory minicamp on Friday. He continues to recover from offseason hip surgery, but the Broncos still expected Marshall to be in attendance for camp.

Marshall is a little upset that he’s about to enter the final year of his rookie contract and therefore is trying to put the squeeze on the Broncos in efforts to get a new deal. But so far Denver isn’t biting and chances are, they’re none too happy about Marshall’s absence from camp.

What I happen to love about one, Brandon “The Beast” Marshall is that he’s had at least (at least) seven reported off-field incidents since becoming a Bronco. He’s also been nicked up numerous times throughout his career, including in March of last year when he slipped on a empty McDonald’s bag while wrestling with family members and freaking fell through a TV set at his home in Orlando, suffering lacerations to one artery, one vein, one nerve, two tendons and three muscles.

Yet through all this, he still has the pumpkins to ask the Broncos, “Where’s my money?” And not only that, but he’s trying to play hardball with them in order to get a new contract, which includes holding out.

The audacity that same athletes have is appalling. Instead of getting acquainted with a new coaching staff and a new quarterback, Marshall would rather sit at home and pout about his contract. Now, his on field talent is unquestioned and if he ever keeps his head on straight he could turn out to be one of the best receivers in the NFL. But as my TSR cohort John Paulsen once similarly said about Michael Vick, Marshall has million-dollar talent and a 10-cent head.

Update: Broncos’ head coach Josh McDaniels says Marshall should be in camp by late Friday.

Chad Ochocinco thinks we care

Attention everyone: Chad Ochocinco “punked” us. Yeah, he got us real good.

Late Wednesday, the flamboyant wide receiver had three tattoos implanted on his face. On his right cheekbone are two crosses. Ochocinco then had a miniature map of the state of Florida, his home state, inked into his left cheekbone.

On the bridge of his nose, Ochocinco now has the letters OC, presumably to tout his name, which was legally changed in a Florida court in 2008.

The wide receiver declined comment, saying he would speak with the media in the Bengals locker room on Thursday.

But on his Twitter feed Thursday, Ochocinco said they were fake.

“The entire twitt (sp) world and media outlets got punked, that was my twitt joke from yesterday, they follow I’ll have fun with it,” he wrote.

“My grandma would kill me if I had damn facial tatts!!! Fun while it lasted, back to normal, I felt different to,” he said.

Boy, that was a good one, Chad – you really had us there. Outside of the Cincinnati TV station that reported this story, nobody cares. This isn’t news and the only reason why I’m posting something on it is so that I do my part to criticize the antics of Chad Ochocinco Johnson Phillip McGillacutty Wilson 8-Ball Perez (or whatever he’s calling himself these days). This is a man so desperate for attention that it’s beyond the point of sad.

Word of advice, Chad: Cut the crap and just play ball. Show up, work hard and go home. Nobody cares anymore about what you do or say because your act is tired and old. Punk that…

Singletary: ‘I almost made Michael Crabtree cry.’

49ers’ head coach Mike Singletary is an intimidating man – just ask No. 10 overall pick Michael Crabtree.

Singletary also said he almost made first-round draft pick Michael Crabtree cry. Singletary found him running routes during the first minicamp and admonished him for running before he was cleared by the medical staff. Crabtree is recovering from off-season foot surgery.
Singletary recounted the conversation he had with his prized rookie.

“‘I’ve got nothing against you. I’m not angry or anything. I just want you to know, you have to do everything the doctors want you to do so that you can get better.’ I said, ‘I’m not worried about what you can do.’ I said, ‘I know. We drafted you at No. 10. We know what you can do. We just want to make sure that when you come out here, you’re ready to go.’ So, he’s done the things that he needs to do, spending a lot of time with (receivers coach Jerry] Sullivan. I know Jerry is excited about what he’s seeing as well.”

Crabtree has started sprinting and should be ready for the start of training camp.

Hell, I’d cry if Singletary were yelling at me, too. I’d need a new pair of underwear to boot.

This doesn’t seem like a big deal, nor should it be made into one. I think the fact that Crabtree is so anxious to get back onto the field is a great sign, especially considering how many prima donnas there are at receiver in the NFL. I just hope this isn’t an indication of Crabtree’s toughness (or lack thereof).

Falcons release Michael Vick – what next?

The Falcons have officially released quarterback Michael Vick, ending an eight year marriage that started with Vick being selected with the number one overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft and ending with him spending the past two years in a federal penitentiary for dog-fighting.

The release of Vick was just a formality for the Falcons, who had zero plans of honoring the rest of his contract. The remainder of Vick’s signing bonus ($8 million) will count against the team’s cap this season but after that, all financial ties will be severed.

Atlanta tried trading Vick this past offseason and unsurprisingly found no takers. The Rams, Redskins, 49ers, Jets and Raiders were all mentioned as possible trade suitors at one point or another over the past couple months, but most teams declined having any interest in the end.

Vick is now free to sign with any team he wants, but he’s waiting to see if NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will reinstate him first and if he does, whether or not another suspension is forthcoming. Once Vick was indicted on federal charges, Goodell suspended him indefinitely, but it remains to be seen if the troubled quarterback will receive any more suspension time.

Assuming he does get reinstated, I don’t think a GM with half a brain would take the risk of signing Vick. Not only will he probably be suspended again, but nobody knows what kind of shape he’s in and whether or not he’s even mentally ready to play football. Not to mention whichever team does sign him, they better be ready for the national media storm that will certainly blow in upon his arrival.

Oakland is about the only place I could see Vick winding up in. Al Davis doesn’t care what anyone thinks and if a player has talent (which Vick certainly does…or did), then Davis will find a spot for him. The only problem is that JaMarcus Russell is the team’s quarterback, so would Vick be willing to move to another position or take a backup role? Considering what he’s done, he better be willing to take whatever a team gives him, but who knows.

Let the Vick speculation begin.

Eagles restructure McNabb’s contract – what happens to Kolb?

According to a report by FOXSports.com, the Eagles have restructured quarterback Donovan McNabb’s contract for the next two seasons. McNabb’s deal is worth an estimated $24.5 million, which comes out to be a $5.3 million raise with another $1 million in incentives.

The interesting thing about McNabb’s restructured deal is that he didn’t get any more years added onto the contract. He essentially got a raise and that’s it, so after this season everyone will once again be talking about how McNabb only has one more year left on his deal. It’s nice that he got a raise and guaranteed money, but where’s the extension?

What’s even more interesting is what the Eagles do with Kevin Kolb now. They selected him in the second round of the 2007 draft and so far he’s attempted only 34 passes as McNabb’s backup. And now that Philly has committed to McNabb for at least the next two years, will they attempt to trade Kolb?

Kolb only signed a four-year, $4.32 million contract when he was drafted in 2007, which means he’ll become a free agent the same year McNabb does (2011). If the Eagles are committed to McNabb, one would think that they would try to get something for Kolb while they still have him. If not, he’ll surely walk in 2011 in hopes to become a starter somewhere else.

We’ll see if the Eagles make Kolb available now that McNabb’s deal is taken care of, or if they continue to use him as insurance in case McNabb suffers an injury (which let’s be honest, can happen at any second during the year).

« Older posts Newer posts »