Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 744 of 1503)

Burress receives two-year prison sentence for gun charges

According to the New York Times, former Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress pleaded guilty to felony weapon charges on Thursday and received a two-year prison sentence.

Justice Michael H. Melkonian of State Supreme Court accepted the guilty plea. Under the plea agreement, along with the two-year prison sentence, Mr. Burress, 31, is to be sentenced on Sept. 22 to two years of post-release supervision.

If the case were to go to trial and Mr. Burress were convicted of all charges — two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and one count of second-degree reckless endangerment — he could face 3½ to 15 years in prison. The plea agreement still needs the approval of a State Supreme Court justice.

Given his age, this sentence could mean that his career is over. A team might give him a workout once he’s released from prison, but it’s doubtful that anyone would sign him to a contract no matter how much it was worth.

Not to kick someone while they’re down, but it’s amazing how far Plax has fallen since helping the Giants win a Super Bowl in 2008. He has no one to blame but himself either, after trying to secure a loaded gun in the waistband of his sweatpants while out at a nightclub. How stupid could you be? Who was he trying to impress? Was he actually trying to protect himself or was carrying the gun about image? Even though he shot himself, he’s lucky that no one else was hurt or else his punishment would have been more severe.

Either way, he has put his football career on life support. Maybe other athletes will look at this situation and realize how great of an opportunity they truly have and strive to stay out of trouble off the field. It’s highly doubtful, but one could hope.

Gonzo struggling to adapt in Atlanta?

In Chris Mortensen’s training camp preview of the Atlanta Falcons, Tony Gonzalez admits that he’s struggling to adapt to his new surroundings.

“I’ll admit I’m still somewhat uncomfortable,” said Gonzalez. “I’m learning a new offense, I’m making new friends, learning a new freeway system. All the things going into switching teams, I’m going through it right now and it’s kind of tough, like being a rookie all over again.”

Is that a good or bad thing?

“I think it’s going to help make me a better player,” said Gonzalez.

“You get in a whole new system, I’m blocking more at the point of attack, I have different route-running schemes and I’m working with a new quarterback. I think that helps you grow. When you’re uncomfortable like that, or taken out of your element, you either adapt to it or you don’t. When you see the talent on this team, you are motivated to adapt.”

Gonzalez is the consummate pro, so chances are he’ll eventually settle into his new situation and be productive. And considering the amount of time he spent in Kansas City, it’s understandable that it’s taking a while to get adjusted in Atlanta.

But considering the amount of blocking that he’s going to do in Atlanta’s offense, he might not have the kind of impact that many thought he would when the Falcons traded for him earlier this offseason. That’s not to say that he won’t be effective; he just might not tear up the stat sheet in Atlanta like he did for so many years in KC.

That said, he’s still going to be a security blanket for quarterback Matt Ryan, especially in the red zone and on third downs.


Gonzo was the top TE last season, but changing teams is never easy, so for that reason I believe that Jason Witten and Antonio Gates — who have had more consistency this offseason — are primed to outscore Gonzalez. Plus, the Chiefs were trailing for most of 2008, and that lends itself to catches and yards in garbage time. The Falcons should be leading games in the second half, so that means more Michael Turner and less Gonzo.

Marshall admits he doesn’t know Broncos’ playbook

Brandon Marshall admitted after practice on Wednesday that he isn’t close to knowing the Broncos playbook, which changed following the hiring of new head coach Josh McDaniels.

From the Colorado Springs Gazette:

After basically disengaging himself from practice by standing with the defensive players on the sideline and not taking any normal repetitions during 11-on-11 drills (he said it is because he is “not close” to learning the playbook), Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall reiterated he is not happy with the team. He was asked if there were irreconcilable differences with the team.

“Unfortunately, sometimes it gets to that point,” Marshall said. “There are trust issues on both sides. It’s understandable. We’ve got to try our best to move forward.”

He said he was starting to work past his issues with the team, but he was upset on Friday when he said a public-relations staffer told Broncos players not to act too happy for Marshall after he was found not guilty of a misdemeanor battery charge in Atlanta.

“I think the biggest thing was, it was really disappointing hearing that some of my teammates on one of the best days of … for the past three years, of my life, some of my teammates were coached to say ‘Don’t say you’re happy for Brandon,'” Marshall said.

Cry me a river. Is he serious? He’s upset because a member of the Broncos’ PR staff told players not to act too happy because Marshall escaped charges for allegedly beating his girlfriend? It makes sense that the team doesn’t want its players celebrating the fact that one of their teammates beat a domestic abuse charge.

It’s amazing how Marshall cannot understand why the Broncos don’t want to give him a contract extension. He’s missed time due to injuries and court appearances, but one would think that within that time he would have cracked open the playbook once or twice. Instead, he’s devoted his time to being pissed at the Broncos for not giving him more money. Makes sense.

Church irked by Manuel’s comments

Even though Ryan Church is now a member of the Braves, he’s still reminded of how frustrating it was to play for the Mets and manager Jerry Manuel.

When Church’s former teammate David Wright suffered a concussion after he was hit in the head with a fastball by Giants starter Matt Cain in a game last weekend, Manuel said Wright was a “different animal” than Church when it comes to missing time due to a concussion. (Church missed much of last season after suffering two concussions.)

According to a report by ESPN.com, Church was upset with Manuel’s “different animal” comment.

“It just felt like a low blow,” Church said. “I saw it. I wasn’t happy. If he had a problem with me or anything like that, you’d think he’d tell it to my face. I had plenty of opportunity to talk while I was wearing that uniform. It just was like, all right, now that I’m wearing another one, why would he come out and say that?”

When he met with reporters before Tuesday night’s series opener against the Braves, Manuel was told that Church called the comments a “cheap shot.”

But Manuel said he meant no disrespect. He said he was simply trying to explain that the players involved were different, just like the concussions.

“There’s no ill intent,” Manuel said. “I don’t mean to take a shot at him. If that’s how he felt, I apologize to him. I like Ryan Church.”

Manuel and Church had bad blood before this incident and I don’t blame Church for feeling like Manuel took a cheap shot. Manuel wasn’t sensitive to Church’s injuries last year (the entire Mets’ staff mismanaged Church’s two concussions by making him available to pinch hitting him two days after the first injury and then putting him on a freaking plane to Colorado with post-concussion symptoms shorty after that) and isn’t being sensitive now in his comments. Because Church is in Atlanta now, Manuel probably feels as though he can take swipes at his former player without facing any repercussions.

Granted, the Mets have suffered an unusual amount of injuries this season, which have nothing to do with Manuel. But that doesn’t mean he deserves a mulligan for what has transpired this season. He’s a lousy manager and I would be shocked if the Mets didn’t fire him in the offseason.

Jets exploring wide receiver market – Marshall could be a target

According to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News, the Jets are exploring a trade for a receiver and Brandon Marshall is the biggest name on their radar.

If the Jets do add a veteran, it probably won’t be a free agent such as Marvin Harrison.

Another name to watch is the Chiefs’ Dwayne Bowe, a former first-round pick. He caught 86 balls for 1,022 yards on an awful team last season, but he’s had a difficult transition under new coach Todd Haley. He may have played his way out of the doghouse with five catches in the preseason opener, but the Chiefs are rebuilding and will move a player if he doesn’t fit their long-term plans.

The Giants are another team that bears watching. They have a glut of receivers, and the Jets are wondering if one, perhaps Sinorice Moss, will become available.

The Jets are awfully inexperienced at receiver so it makes sense that they would be interested in trading for one. But they could have a hard time finding a trade partner, especially as the regular season draws closer.

The Broncos have already stated that Marshall isn’t available, but if he continues to make a stink about his contract they could wind up dealing him and picking up yet another first round pick for 2010. (They already acquired a first round pick for next year in the Jay Cutler trade.)

Even though Bowe may be in Haley’s doghouse, he’s a key piece to an improving young offense in Kansas City. So it’s highly doubtful that Scott Pioli would make him available. Still, the Jets’ receiver situation will be intriguing to follow over the next week or so.

« Older posts Newer posts »