Page 476 of 2956

Is Andy Dalton a sleeper or just another spread QB to be avoided on draft day?

Texas Christian University quarterback Andy Dalton celebrates after his 23 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Bart Johnson during first quarter of the 2011 Rose Bowl game in Pasadena on January 1, 2011. UPI/Jon SooHoo

Andy Dalton might be the most interesting case study among this year’s NFL draft quarterback class. That’s because while Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Cam Newton and Ryan Mallet will receive more attention over the next couple of months, Dalton could be that second day sleeper that turns out to be more successful than all of them.

Not all starting quarterbacks are former first round picks. Tom Brady was a sixth round pick. Drew Brees was a second. Matt Schaub was a third and Matt Cassel was a seventh. Granted, most successful quarterbacks (i.e. Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, etc.) were chosen in the first round, but that doesn’t mean that teams can’t find a gem later in the draft.

That’s where Dalton comes in. Quarterbacks are supposed to be leaders and that may be the former Horned Frog’s biggest attribute. He’s a tireless worker and he was a winner in college (he won 44 career games and went 25-1 over his last two seasons at TCU). Despite being unable to showcase his arm in TCU’s dink-and-dunk offense, he can make all the throws, too. He doesn’t lack the physical ability to succeed at the next level and hopefully at this weekend’s Senior Bowl, he’ll prove to pro scouts that he has a quick release and is highly accurate.

Of course, the knock on Dalton is that he ran a spread offense in college, just like Tim Tebow and countless other quarterbacks who disappeared after putting up great numbers in the NCAA. While TCU did use a variety of formations from five wide receiver sets to two tight ends and two backs, Dalton usually took snaps out of the shotgun. Pro scouts want to be assured that prospects know how to take a snap from under center and get into his three or five-step drop. They want to know that the signal caller has the ability to run a pro-style offense before they invest a draft pick in him (even if it’s a late round pick).

Over these next couple of months, Dalton needs to shine. He certainly has what it takes to make the transition from college to pro, but unlike Gabbert, Locker, Newton and Mallet, he has more to prove because of the program and system he ran in college. Will he be a diamond in the rough or just another highly successful college quarterback who fades into obscurity once his eligibility ran out?

Bengals: We’re not trading Carson Palmer

Cincinnati Bengals’ quarterback Carson Palmer scrambles against Baltimore Ravens’ Terrell Suggs during the fourth quarter at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on January 2, 2011. UPI/Kevin Dietsch

While everyone was focusing on the two conference championship games this weekend, there was a report out of Cincinnati on Sunday that quarterback Carson Palmer will demand a trade from the Bengals. But owner Mike Brown has final say in the matter and he told the media on Monday that the team will not trade Palmer.

Brown admitted that Palmer did meet with the Bengals last week about a possible trade, which gives merit to Chris Mortensen’s report that the quarterback wants out of Cincinnati. Mort even said that Palmer is willing to “play the retirement” card if he doesn’t get his wish, although that would mean he would leave $50 million on the table over the next four seasons.

But Brown has no plans to trade Palmer, who probably wouldn’t fetch much in return anyway. He hasn’t been the same player since the knee injury he suffered against Pittsburgh in the ’04 playoffs and his arm strength has been repeatedly questioned. He played well in the final two weeks of the 2010 regular season but that won’t be enough to entice a team to trade draft picks and fork over $50 million in order to acquire him. Even if the Bengals did agree to trade him, he would have to restructure his current deal.

For now, it looks like Palmer is stuck in the ‘Natti for the time being.

Ricky Rubio doesn’t want to play for the T-Wolves?

Barring some sort of language barrier or misquote, “a senior member of Rubio’s camp” seems to have confirmed to the New York Times what we all pretty much knew — Ricky Rubio does not want to play for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Timberwolves continue to push him toward the N.B.A. as soon as possible, contending privately that they have a commitment from him for next season. But Rubio’s camp does not appear to be convinced.

“The bottom line is, why would he want to play in Minnesota?” a senior member of Rubio’s camp said this month. “He’ll continue to say all the diplomatic things, and Minnesota needs to keep his value up for trade purposes, but the family’s preference is to be on the East Coast, specifically New York, Miami or Boston. He wouldn’t be troubled if he has to stay another year.”

But the Timberwolves have leverage. They hold his exclusive draft rights, meaning they are the only N.B.A. team with whom he can negotiate. Their latest strategy in trying to persuade Rubio to sign may center on the possible N.B.A. lockout of players after the collective bargaining agreement expires June 30. The terms of the new agreement will probably be significantly less favorable for rookies.

New York, Miami or Boston…hmmm. Well, Boston is probably out because Rajon Rondo is already there, and he’s one of the best point guards in the NBA. It’s not like Rubio’s recent play has been so awe-inspiring that the C’s would give up on a bird in the hand like Rondo. Some are even wondering if Rubio’s development has stalled.

Miami would be an interesting landing spot from a how-are-they-going-to-make-this-work standpoint, but Rubio is not a good fit. LeBron and Dwyane Wade handle the ball so much that it would be a waste of Rubio’s playmaking talents. LeBron and Wade need to play with a point guard who can space the floor with good three-point shooting, and that’s not Rubio’s game. At all.

The Knicks are a possibility, and Rubio’s freewheeling, pass-first style would be fun to watch in Mike D’Antoni’s up-tempo system, but Raymond Felton is averaging 17.5 points and 8.7 assists, and is a better scorer than Rubio at this point. Felton is only under contract for one more season, so if the Knicks see Rubio as a better point guard of the future, they have a few assets that might appeal to the Timberwolves.

The article goes on to discuss how the new CBA might not be as favorable to rookies, and that might encourage Rubio to sign before June 30. But right now it looks like he’s willing to play in Spain for another season and try to force the T-Wolves to trade his rights to an East Coast team.

It’s amazing — T-Wolves GM David Kahn took three point guards (Rubio, Jonny Flynn, Ty Lawson) in what was considered to be a great draft for that position and still doesn’t have his PG of the future. He passed on Brandon Jennings and Stephen Curry to take Rubio and Flynn, and ended up trading Lawson away (for a draft pick that turned into a trade for Martell Webster). Darren Collison was also available when the T-Wolves took Lawson.

Is the criticism of Cutler valid or is everyone just piling on because he’s Jay Cutler?

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler stands on the field before game against the Washington Redskins at Soldier Field in Chicago on October 24, 2010. UPI/Brian Kersey

Jay Cutler has an MCL tear in his left knee, although the severity of the injury is still unknown. In other words, we still don’t have enough information on whether or not he could have played in the second half against Green Bay.

But unless he’s having his leg amputated later this afternoon, he’ll still have plenty of folks questioning his toughness. People know what they saw on Sunday: A disinterested Cutler not fighting to get back into the biggest game of his life. He just stood or sat there, almost looking bored and/or annoyed that he had to watch the rest of the game from underneath his parka.

Former and current players have taken to Twitter to blast the Chicago QB. Maurice Jones-Drew pointed out that he played on a bad knee all season. Former Buccaneer great Derrick Brooks tweeted that he would have to be crawling and unable to get up to come off the field. Eagles’ corner Asante Samuel wrote that the Bears players should look at Cutler “sideways” from now on.

Fans have been even more demonstrative with their criticism. One group decided to burn his jersey after the game and I’m sure there were many others to curse his name and trash his memorabilia as well. If I were Cutler, I’d be looking up vacation spots right about now. (I hear South Dakota is nice this time of year.)

But is everyone being rational with his or her criticism? After all, he has only missed one start in his career and that came earlier this season when he suffered a concussion. Team trainers did check him out at halftime and he did try to go back into the game in the third quarter. He also has a torn MCL, so clearly he wasn’t faking the injury unless the Bears made up the results of his MRI (which is a stretch, but I also wouldn’t put anything past teams these days).

Continue reading »

« Older posts Newer posts »