Page 1400 of 2956

Pujols in no hurry to sign an extension with the Cardinals

According to ESPN.com, Albert Pujols has no interest in signing a contract extension with the Cardinals this offseason.

“I’m not desperate to sign a contract extension. I still have one year remaining in my contract for 2010 and a club option for 2011. I leave the rest in God’s hands,” Pujols told a Dominican radio station (CDN 92.5 FM) Wednesday during an interview on the sports program “Manana Deportiva.”

Pujols signed a seven-year contract for $100 million after the 2003 season, but the two-time MVP said money will not be the central issue in his next contract.

“We have not sat down to talk about contracts yet. Last week, the GM [John Mozeliak] called me and I told them to talk to my lawyer. But I reiterate that money is not everything, it’s better to have a competitive team that can go to the postseason,” he added.

Pujols, 29, hit .327 with 47 home runs and 135 RBIs this season for the Cardinals, and is a heavy favorite to win the NL MVP.

St. Louis would obviously love to make Pujols a Cardinal for life, but it makes sense that he doesn’t want to rush the process when he doesn’t have to. He’s basically under contract for the next two years (the Cardinals will pick him his option in 2011) and therefore doesn’t have to think about his pending free agency for a while.

I don’t read this as Pujols hinting that he doesn’t want to be a Cardinal. I just think he wants to take things one year at a time, especially when he still has at least two more years left in St. Louis.

Don’t count on Gruden winding up at Louisville

According to the National Football Post, Jon Gruden is Louisville’s No. 1 choice to be the school’s next head football coach if Steve Kragthorpe is fired. Gruden has been a hot name of late, as Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder was also rumored to be interested in the former Bucs head coach earlier this week.

A Gruden-to-Louisville marriage seems highly unlikely. While he did start at the collegiate level when he first got started in coaching (he was a graduate assistant at Tennessee, a quarterbacks coach at Southeast Missouri State and a wide receivers coach at University of Pacific), most of Gruden’s experience is in the NFL. In fact, he’s been in the NFL since 1990 and runs the West Coast Offense, which is predominately a pro-style system. Plus, Gruden has little to no experience recruiting, which is obviously a huge factor in building a collegiate program.

There are always head coaching vacancies in the NFL and teams will no doubt pursue Gruden in the offseason seeing as how he’s won a Super Bowl. If Gruden had his choice between staying in the NFL and going back to the college ranks, why would he choose college when he’s so familiar with the NFL? It just doesn’t make sense.

The only reason I could see Gruden winding up at Louisville is if the money was too good to pass up. But if the rumors are true that Snyder is interested in his services, than Gruden won’t have any problems making money.

FOX apologizes for mocking Jessica Simpson’s weight in cartoon

Burger King and the FOX network have apologized for a cartoon skit which aired last Sunday during a pregame show that mocked Jessica Simpson for her supposed weight gain.

From the Dallas Morning News:

In the commercial, the cartoon version of Marion Barber says, “Man, I still can’t believe Tony dated Jessica Simpson, even after she blew up bigger than Flozell Adams!”

The cartoon version of Jason Witten says, “Unlike Tony, at least Jessica comes up big when it counts!”

And the cartoon version of coach Wade Phillips adds, “Say Tony, is Jessica around? We could use a defensive tackle!”

Fox issued a statement saying, “Burger King did not have any editorial input in the creation of the animation that ran last Sunday, and no one from Burger King Corp., approved it before it aired.

“Upon reflection, our poor attempt at humor was insensitive, and we deeply apologize to anyone who might have been offended.”

FOX is right – the commercial was insensitive. I’d also add stupid, unnecessary and cruel in some respects.

As my esteemed colleague John Paulsen recently said, we don’t need to give any more young women complexes about their weight. FOX should have apologized for their lack in judgment.

Jones-Drew furious with Jaguars

According to a report by ESPN.com, Jaguars’ running back Maurice Jones-Drew is furious about the team’s play-calling, its lack of offensive identity and its constant shuffling of offensive linemen.

In a 15-minute session with reporters Wednesday, Jones-Drew ripped several aspects of his team. He even called himself the second-highest paid “decoy” in the league, behind New Orleans running back Reggie Bush.

“I don’t like to be embarrassed, so I do get upset about it,” Jones-Drew said. “You lead by actions. You can only say so much. You can talk to somebody until you’re blue in the face and they’re not going to do anything. But if you go out there and show why you’re upset and you try to do something to correct your mistakes, then they’ll pay attention.”

“It just seems like now if we don’t get 30 yards [rushing], we just go away from it,” said Jones-Drew, whose 75 carries are far less than Garrard’s 169 passes. “I’ve never been a part of a team like that.”

Jones-Drew goes on to talk about the offensive line being an issue because it’s constantly being reshuffled and never has an opportunity to gel.

I can almost write a script about what happens next. At some point before Sunday’s game against the Rams, Jones-Drew will apologize and say that he was ‘frustrated’ and ‘just wants to win.’ Then Jacksonville will go out and destroy a hapless Rams team on Sunday and winning will act like a cure-all.

Rants like these by frustrated players have a way of blowing over quickly. Nobody wants to lose 41-0 like the Jags did last week in Seattle, so players vent. Jacksonville does have a ton of issues, but for the most part the team has been competitive and guys like Jones-Drew are going to have to be patient as the young offensive line gains experience.

Will Boise State stay in the top 5 after edging out Tulsa?

By now, everyone knows that the clowns that compile the BCS rankings are simple-minded folks. They have short-term memory and are easily influenced by big wins.

With that in mind, was Boise State’s 28-21 win over Tulsa on Wednesday night good enough to convince voters to rank them in the top 5 when the BCS standings are released for the first time October 18?

In short: No.

The Broncos are a solid football team and turned in a sound effort against the Golden Hurricane, outside of two first half turnovers that allowed Tulsa to keep the game close. But Boise State had several opportunities in the third quarter to put the game away and couldn’t. That allowed Tulsa to mount a comeback with a G.J. Kinne to Slick Shelley 55-yard touchdown pass with just under 9:30 remaining. The Golden Hurricane also had two chances to tie the game with less than six minutes to play, but failed to do so when their final two drives stalled.

Given the conference it plays in, it’s not enough for a team like Boise to only beat an opponent by seven points. While Tulsa had a 4-1 record entering the game, their only loss was a 45-0 beat down at the hands of Oklahoma in Week 3. Voters will certainly compare Boise and Oklahoma’s victories over Tulsa when it comes time to rank the Broncos next week.

Although Tulsa put up a fight in the first half, this game was hardly ever in doubt for Boise. Up until the fourth quarter, they moved the ball at will and completely dominated the third quarter. But again, while their overall effort was solid in the victory, their performance was unimpressive to say the least. And knowing BCS voters like we do, if teams like USC, Ohio State and Cincinnati roll this week, Boise might find itself ranked outside the top 5 come October 18.

« Older posts Newer posts »