Page 1282 of 2956

Chris Bosh doesn’t like winter (or losing)

We knew this was coming eventually. We weren’t sure which soon-to-be free agent would be the first one to crack (Bosh? Stoudemire? Joe Johnson?), but the smart money was on Bosh since it has been some time since the Raptors were part of the East’s elite. The team is off to a 7-13 start, punctuated by last night’s 146-115 loss to the Hawks.

Per the Toronto Star:

“The defensive effort hasn’t been there for a while. We didn’t magically appear last on the charts defensively,” said Chris Bosh. “I mean, tonight was just a total embarrassment. We couldn’t stop anybody. We haven’t stopped anybody all year.”

It’s nice that he’s using the term “we” there, but Bosh has a reputation for being a pretty good defender, and the guys around him — Jose Calderon, Hedo Turkoglu, Andrea Bargnani — are far more offensive-minded.

Then there’s this bit of info from the Miami Herald

Not only will the Heat’s chances of signing Chris Bosh next summer be helped if the Raptors keep struggling, but a former Raptors official said Bosh doesn’t like Toronto’s cold winters. Bosh isn’t keen on playing in his native Texas but has said the Heat “seems to be an attractive place, playing with Dwyane Wade and playing in Miami.”

If the Raptors keep playing sub-.500 ball, there’s a great chance that Bosh lands in Miami next year. If that happens, Dwyane Wade is almost sure to re-sign, and the Heat will once again join the East’s elite.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Seahawks GM Ruskell to resign – will Holmgren stay?

The Seattle Times is reporting that Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell will resign on Thursday.

His departure creates an opening atop the Seahawks’ football operations, and speculation will turn immediately to Mike Holmgren, who coached the Seahawks for 10 years. He has expressed a desire to return to the NFL after taking this year off, and it is believed Seattle would be his first choice.

Once Ruskell’s departure becomes official, it will become more clear where Holmgren fits into the franchise’s framework for the future, though it should be noted the league’s hiring protocol for a vacancy like this would require the franchise to interview at least one minority candidate.

This will be an interesting story to follow, because Holmgren is coveted from other teams as well. The Browns have already shown interest and there are sure to be more openings that pop up in the offseason.

My question is, does Holmgren want to be a GM and a head coach or just a GM? If he wants to do both, one would think that he would go outside the organization and start over. If he just wants to be a GM, then he’s likely to stay in Seattle and work with Jim Mora.

One thing is for sure: Holmgren will have a variety of options this offseason.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Jamal Lewis done for the season, and his career

The Browns placed running back Jamal Lewis on injured reserve on Wednesday night with post-concussion symptoms, effectively ending his season and his career.

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Lewis, who previously announced this would be his last NFL season, has played his last down of football. He will retire as the 21st leading NFL rusher with 10,607 yards in 131 career games.

But Lewis’ place on the all-time rushing list is the furthest thing from his mind.

A source said that Lewis was “pretty shaken up” when an MRI test showed “brain abnormalities.” They may be the result of excessive trauma triggered by a recent hit. More tests will be done to determine the extent of Lewis’ injury, the source said.

The injuries to Lewis and Pool really bring home the wave of concussion awareness currently sweeping the NFL. Recent concussion injuries suffered by Philadelphia running back Brian Westbrook, Washington running back Clinton Portis, Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner and Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger accentuated national attention on the NFL’s need to deal better with head injuries.

The NFL is trying to make head injuries more of a priority by making players wait longer after they suffer post-concussion symptoms. With the amount of head injuries that players have suffered this year, it’s a good thing that the league is being more proactive but it’s still up to the players to be honest when they’re suffering any symptoms.

As for Lewis, his 2009 season will end with career lows in total yardage (588), touchdowns (0), catches (8) and rushing yards per game (55.6). He’ll mostly be remembered for his 2003 season with the Ravens when he rushed for 2,066 yards and 14 touchdowns on 387 carries. He rushed for 5.3 yards per carry that season and had 16 runs of 20-plus yards.

It’s unlikely that Lewis will be inducted into the Hall of Fame, but he put together a nice career for himself and he’ll retire with a Super Bowl ring.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

NFL changes rules on concussions

According to a report by ESPN.com, NFL teams now have new, stricter instructions for when players should be allowed to return to games or practices after suffering head injuries.

In the latest step by the league to address a hot-button issue, commissioner Roger Goodell sent a memo to the 32 clubs Wednesday saying a player who gets a concussion should not return to action on the same day if he shows certain signs or symptoms.

Those include an inability to remember assignments or plays, a gap in memory, persistent dizziness and persistent headaches.

The old standard, established in 2007, said a player should not be allowed to return to the same game if he lost consciousness.
Nearly one-fifth of 160 NFL players surveyed by The Associated Press from Nov. 2-15 replied that they have hidden or played down the effects of a concussion.

The new policy states, in part: “Once removed for the duration of a practice or game, the player should not be considered for return-to-football activities until he is fully asymptomatic, both at rest and after exertion, has a normal neurological examination, normal neuropsychological testing and has been cleared to return by both his team physician(s) and the independent neurological consultant.”

Teams were told this month they have to find an outside neurologist who can be consulted on concussions, and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday all of those independent doctors have been approved and are in place.

It’s good to see that the league can adjust when a rule or regulation needs to be changed. The NFL has a responsibility to its players to protect them from serious, long-term injuries the best it can.

That said, players also need to admit when they’re suffering from symptoms, which will be hard because most players don’t want to show weakness. Hopefully the league and its players will take a more active role when it comes to head injuries.

It’ll be interesting to see if Big Ben plays this weekend given these new rules. It sounds like he hasn’t suffered from any symptoms lately, but the league is going to start paying extra attention to head injuries and his concussion will become a focus.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

« Older posts Newer posts »