Page 1143 of 2956

Lincecum arbitration hearing a lose-lose situation for Giants

Far be it for me to question what the inner workings of a professional baseball organization is doing, but what in God’s name are the San Francisco Giants thinking?

In mid-January, Tim Lincecum field for $13 million in arbitration, while the Giants submitted an $8 million figure. Many viewed the situation as the Giants low-balling their ace pitcher, but I figured that the $8 million would be used as a starting point for the club and Lincecum to reach a deal outside of the courtroom. I even told my cohort here at The Scores Report, John Paulsen, that they would likely avoid arbitration altogether and meet somewhere in the middle.

But upon waking this morning I read: Giants, Lincecum set arbitration hearing for Friday.

Nice prediction, Stalter.

Unless I’m missing the big picture here, the Giants have done a fantastic job of setting themselves up in a lose-lose situation. By submitting $8 million and then actually following through with the hearing, they risk not only pissing off Lincecum but also losing $13 million in arbitration. After all, what are they going to use against Lincecum – his RBI totals?

Fortunately for the Giants, Lincecum is being a total professional about the situation. He’s on record saying that he understands the business part of baseball and that it’s nothing personal. He also understands that the Giants could use his October 30 pot charge against him during the hearing, although that’s about the only thing the club has against the two-time Cy Young winner.

Continue reading »

Dolphins to offer draft pick for Boldin?

The Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins might offer a third-round pick to the Cardinals in exchange for receiver Anquan Boldin this offseason.

• Two people in contact with the Dolphins said last week they would be very surprised if Miami pursues a trade for Brandon Marshall — Denver says it might keep him, and Marshall wants to stay — but they could envision the Dolphins offering a draft pick (third round or later) for Arizona’s Anquan Boldin.

The Dolphins definitely need to beef up their receiver corps and if they could acquire Boldin for a third round pick, it seems like a no-brainer that they would pull the trigger on a deal. The hope would be that Boldin could make Ted Ginn Jr., Davone Bess and Brian Hartline more productive just by being on the field.

As for the Cardinals, I would be shocked if they don’t get at least a third rounder in return for Boldin. That seems like fair compensation for a productive wideout that still has several good years left in his legs.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Steven Jackson assault case closed due to lack of evidence

Police have closed the Steven Jackson assault charge case due to lack of evidence.

From ESPN.com:

Investigators found insufficient evidence that Jackson, 26, attacked Supriya Harris of Mableton, Ga., in March 2009, Las Vegas police Officer Barbara Morgan said.

Harris, 29, filed a complaint Jan. 27 with authorities in LaPlace, La., alleging that the two-time Pro Bowl running back repeatedly pushed her to the ground and “flung” her against a door before his nephew intervened.

Copies of the report were posted online by CBS Sports and the celebrity Web site TMZ. In it, Harris said she was treated at a hospital for a cut on her hip from hitting a door handle.

Harris told police Jackson later urged her to say she was injured during a fall in the shower.

Jackson issued a statement Jan. 28 through one of his agents calling the accusations “untrue” and “hurtful.”

What’s sad about this situation is that Jackson’s reputation has been tarnished by these allegations, but even though he proved to be innocent those that criticized him will just move on. The moment these allegations came out, people were bashing him for not being a model citizen and a good father. I highly doubt any of those people will admit that they jumped to conclusions and made assumptions.

But hey, I guess that’s just the day and age we live in. Criticize first, don’t worry about being held accountable later.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Is Joe Dumars overrated?

John Hollinger sure thinks so.

Let’s look ourselves in the mirror, fellow media members: We’ve all given the guy a free pass because of his amazing run to six straight conference finals and blithely ignored the fact that he’s screwed up a hundred ways from Tuesday since he decided to whack Flip Saunders after the 2008 conference finals.

Check out the résumé and find me a correct decision. Just one. Fire Saunders? Wrong. Hire Michael Curry? Wrong. Trade Chauncey Billups? Wrong. Extend Richard Hamilton? Wrong. Sign Kwame Brown? Wrong. Go after Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva? Wrong again.

In two years, the Pistons have gone from one of the best teams in basketball to among the worst. They stink, they’re capped out, and they don’t have much in the way of young talent; for all we know, in two years they’re going to be the Pittsburgh Pisces or the Seattle Grunge or something. If Isiah Thomas or Rob Babcock had done this, we’d have buried them alive by now, so it’s only fair for us to point out that regardless of his previous track record, Dumars is on a two-year losing streak of McHalian proportions.

No arguments here, though I don’t know that keeping Flip Saunders as your head coach is ever the right move.

Let’s not forget that it was Dumars who picked Darko Milicic #2 overall back in 2003. The next three picks? Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade. Ouch. Dumars got a pass on that pick because of the aforementioned six straight Conference Finals and the fact that the Pistons won the title in 2004. But the Billups trade and his performance in last summer’s free agency understandably has a lot of Piston fans scratching their heads.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

« Older posts Newer posts »