Category: NFL (Page 1248 of 1282)

Texans might trade top draft pick

It seemed like a lock once the season was done. The Texans gave QB David Carr a three-year contract extension and said they were planning to select USC RB Reggie Bush with the first overall pick. But it appears that they are reconsidering.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly said Sunday the Texans have been talking to teams about possibly trading the first pick in the 2006 draft.

“There’s clearly players at the top of this draft that are marquee players,” Casserly said. “Players that are impact players, players that are going to go to the Pro Bowl, players that are going to sell tickets. We’re going to get offers for this pick. We’ve already had discussions with teams. I think there’s value in our pick.

I think Reggie Bush is a phenomenal talent, but I’m not sure he’s an every down back that you expect to get with the #1 pick. If the Texans want to use him in the same way that the Eagles use Brian Westbrook, he’d be worth the first pick, but they do have a very capable back in Domanick Davis and have a ton of other holes to fill. Trading down might be the smart move.

Did Vince bomb the Wonderlic?

The NFL combine in Indianapolis is half over and the biggest story so far [Insider subscription required] is that Vince Young bombed the Wonderlic test (which is designed to test a player’s mind). Word is, on his first try, he scored a 6. On his second, he scored a 16, according to his agent. He’s supposed to take it a third time.

Todd McShay from Scouts, Inc. writes:

Just as a barometer, the highest score registered at last year’s scouting combine was a 40 (QB Alex Smith) and the lowest score was a 6 (RB Frank Gore). I also have been told by an NFL scout that the other two top quarterbacks this year fared much better on this test, with USC’s Matt Leinart scoring a 35 (at the combine) and Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler scoring a 29 (in a test given prior to the combine).

If the reports were true, Young’s draft stock stands to be significantly affected, especially with Cutler continuing to skyrocket up most teams’ draft boards. When I asked one scout from the AFC if he thought Young would still be a top-five draft pick if the rumor turns out to be true, he answered, “Sure … as a wide receiver, though.”

As expected, Cutler shined during his four days in Indianapolis. The only quarterback to voluntarily bench press at the combine in the last two years, Cutler put up the standard 225-pound bar 23 times. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.78 seconds and wowed the NFL brass in attendance with his strong arm and accuracy during the passing drills Sunday. Cutler’s interviews have also impressed several interested teams, including the New Orleans Saints, who currently own the draft’s second overall pick.

It remains to be seen how much Young’s draft stock is hurt by these scores. The results of his third test won’t be released until next week. But, for now, you have to think that Cutler has moved ahead of Young on most teams’ draft boards.

Wayne will stay a Colt

The Indianapolis Colts have come to terms with WR Reggie Wayne.

The extension, which is expected to be officially executed later this week, could be worth nearly $40 million and includes bonuses totaling $13 million-$14 million.

Securing Wayne means that Indianapolis still has the franchise marker available, and could use it to keep tailback Edgerrin James, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency. It is unlikely, however, given the cap ramifications, that Indianapolis will tag James for a second year in a row. At the Pro Bowl last week, the veteran tailback indicated to ESPN.com that he is prepared to play elsewhere in 2006.

Wayne over Edge? Man, RBs in the NFL aren’t nearly as valuable as they are in my fantasy league.

Brees headed to Miami?

There’s a good chance that QB Drew Brees won’t be a Charger next season. Brees and the franchise have had trouble reaching an agreement on a new contract, mainly due to Brees’ injured shoulder.

The Chargers don’t want to name Brees as their transition player because that would guarantee his salary for 2006, and the team is not sure he’ll be ready to play.

Brees underwent surgery last month and is expected to begin throwing in May. But whether he is at full strength by the Chargers’ July training camp isn’t known.

Brees and the Chargers are talking about a multiyear pact. But so far, no agreement has been reached and on March 3, Brees can negotiate with any team.

The Dolphins are expected to make a strong run at Brees if he hits free agency.

Ricky Williams in trouble…again

Looks like we may have seen the last of Ricky Williams on the football field:

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has violated the NFL’s substance abuse policy for a fourth time and is facing a one-year suspension from the league, Denver television station KDVR reported on Sunday.

The Miami Herald, citing two sources of its own, confirmed the station’s report that Williams has violated the policy, although neither source would say whether Williams had failed a drug test or if he had missed a required test, which also is a violation.

In their Rumor Mill, ProFootballTalk.com reports the violation was indeed a missed test, not a failed one, but adds:

The difference is technical. Either action is a violation of the substance abuse policy, and a violation (for Williams) most likely will trigger a minimum suspension of one year. During the suspension, he still will be expected to submit to testing and other aspects of his treatment plan.

This is a tough one to understand. Why go through the hassle of coming out of retirement, talking to the media about everything, apologizing to your teammates, enduring a four-game suspension, and backing up a rookie, only to space on a drug test (Williams is reportedly in India right now) and earn a year-long ban?

At this point, it’s clear football just isn’t very important to Ricky Williams, which is a shame since he managed to raise his stock significantly last year and was likely on his way to a featured role with someone like Denver. Then again, if Ricky’s not interested in playing football anymore, then this is the perfect excuse to retire for good this time around. Of course, there’s a chance Williams could appeal the suspension since he didn’t actually test positive, but it seems like a one-year suspension is almost inevitable at this point.

« Older posts Newer posts »