Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 943 of 1503)

Michigan QB Steven Threet transferring

Michigan quarterback Steven Threet has decided to transfer, although he’s uncertain at this point what school he’s transferring to.

Michigan WolverinesThreet said in a statement Monday he does not yet know where he will continue his college career.

School spokesman David Ablauf declined to comment.

Threet enrolled early at Georgia Tech in 2007 but transferred to Michigan before fall camp. After sitting out the 2007 season under NCAA rules, Threet started eight games for the Wolverines in 2008.

The 6-foot-6, 230-pounder from Adrian completed 102 of 210 passes for 1,105 yards and nine touchdowns last season.

Michigan had a 3-9 record in coach Rich Rodriguez’s first season, losing the most games in school history.

Michigan finished last in the Big Ten in passing efficiency and averaged just 143.2 passing yards per game last year, so it’s not like losing Threet is devastating news. But it does put pressure on Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson (the Wolverines’ quarterback recruits in 2009) to develop quickly as underclassmen. Both are duo-threat quarterbacks, with Forcier being the better passer and Robinson the better running.

Rich Rodriguez better work some magic this year or else UM fans could very well see a repeat of ’08.

Pudge Rodriguez’s interesting response to steroids

Here’s what free agent catcher Pudge Rodriguez said when questioned if his name is part of the 104 players that tested positive for taking steroids in 2003.

“Only God knows,” Rodriguez said softly.

Canseco, a former teammate in Texas, has alleged he injected the steroids into Rodriguez.
Another former teammate, Alex Rodriguez, recently said he used performance-enhancing drugs while with the Rangers.

If I knew there was no way that I could have tested positive for steroids in 2003, I would have responded to that question as, “Hell no.” But Pudge decided to go with, “Only God knows.” Hmm…

Hey, at least he didn’t deny it. He just kind of sidestepped the question so that when he’s outed later, he can say, “I didn’t say my name wouldn’t be on that list. I just said God knew.”

Swedish wrestler loses bid to have medal reinstated

Remember the Swedish wrestler who protested his bronze medal by leaving it at the podium in the Beijing Olympics? Well apparently he wants the medal reinstated, but an Olympic court told him to shove off.

Ara AbrahamianThe sporting world’s highest court on Monday rejected an appeal by Swedens’ Ara Abrahamian to have his Olympic bronze medal for wrestling reinstated.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport said that Abrahamian’s behaviour was “in breach of the Olympic Charter and of the IOC Protocol Guide” when the wrestler discarded his medal in protest during the Beijing Olympics.

Abrahamian was subsequently stripped of his medal.

“Such behaviour was not justified, even though the athlete had the personal conviction that several sporting decisions related to his semi-final at the Olympic Games were not correct,” said the CAS.

Abrahamian dumped his bronze medal on the floor in protest at the judging in the Greco-Roman wrestling event and was subsequently disqualified from the Beijing Olympics last year.

Abrahamian thought he had beaten Andrea Minguzzi, the eventual gold medalist, in the semi-finals, but the match was awarded to the Italian.

The Swede grudgingly climbed the podium after finishing third in the 84kg class but he left the medal at the centre of the competition mat before stalking off with his fist raised.

Nice stand, guy. You throw a tantrum, protest your medal by leaving it behind and then months later you ask for it back? Come on, bro. If you want to make a stand, then make a stand. Don’t backpedal after you realized you overreacted.

Vick to be suspended?

Peter King of SI.com fully expects NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend Michael Vick for at least a year after he’s released from prison.

Michael Vick6. I think I wouldn’t touch Pacman Jones. But I might be interested in Michael Vick. Keep this in mind: Even if Vick’s free in mid-July, as he might be, I fully expect Vick to be hit with a suspension from the league of as long as a year. I don’t believe he’d be available to play until at least opening day 2010. At that time, it will have been 44 months since he played a football game. Vick will be 30. If I had a moderate need at quarterback, and I knew Vick would be amenable to play different positions, and I knew Vick was in pretty good condition, I’d make a conditional-pick deal for him — say, a fifth-round pick that could rise to a second- with the right incentives. Vick certainly had a dark side, and he was a liar. But I’m not sure he’s a lost cause. He’s been humbled, been stripped to the core, and he might be ready for a last chance at redemption. If not, a fifth-round pick was worth the risk. We’re a country of second chances.

The only problem with giving up even a fifth round pick for Vick is that that team would then take on the rest of his salary, which is an insurmountable amount of money for a player fresh out of prison. Obviously a team can work with Vick’s agent to restructure his contract (and they’d have to), but that seems like more of hassle then it’s worth. Why not just wait for the Falcons to release him?

Bills’ Marshawn Lynch arrested on gun charge

According to News 4 Buffalo, Bills’ running back Marshawn Lynch was arrested in California last week on felony charges of possession of a concealed firearm.

Marshawn LynchLynch was released on a $35,000 bond. The case now moves to the District Attorney.

This afternoon, the Buffalo Bills issued the following statement through VP of Communications Scott Berchtold:

“We can confirm that Marshawn was arrested in California and has retained an attorney. We are in the process of trying to gather the facts and will not offer a comment while that process is ongoing.”
It is the second brush with the law for Lynch in the last year. He was involved in a hit and run incident in downtown Buffalo in May 2008. He pled guilty to failing to use sufficient care to avoid hitting a pedestrian and was fined $100 dollars.

Lynch was not suspended by the NFL for that incident, but could face suspension this time for both the charge and repeat offender status.

There are two main problems here. One, this is Lynch’s second major off field incident in his career, the first being when he struck a woman with his SUV and then left her there to fend for herself. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will surely hand down a fine and suspension and the Bills could be without their starting running back for part of the season next year.

The second issue is what would have come from this situation had the police not stopped and arrested Lynch. What was the next move with the gun? Was he just carrying it for protection? Probably, but what if Lynch planned to use it? I can’t believe after all Plaxico Burress has gone through with his gun charge, that Lynch would be so stupid.

« Older posts Newer posts »