Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 900 of 1503)

Boldin still in Cardinals’ long-term future?

Cardinals’ GM Rod Graves says that he still views Anquan Boldin as a core player and would like to extend his contract.

Anquan BoldinAs reported by SI.com this week, the Cardinals would like to re-sign Boldin for less than the $10 million a year average they are paying Larry Fitzgerald. The team wants to stay in the $7 million to $9 million range, depending on how the contract is structured.

After the Super Bowl, Boldin backed away from a vow to never re-sign with the team, which the club viewed as a positive sign.

For now, the Cardinals are maintaining their stance of not trading Boldin, but that could change if talks with his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, go nowhere over the next month.

“We still recognize him (Boldin) as a core player and one that we would like to extend,” General Manager Rod Graves said, “but I think we have to remain open at all times to possibilities. To this point, we have not made any considerations for a trade, and we’re focused primarily on trying to make this relationship beneficial for our team.”

Rosenhaus declined to comment on the negotiations but did say that he and Boldin recently had positive talks with the Cardinals.

This situation seems to be changing week by week. First it looked like there would be no hope of Boldin staying in Arizona, now it looks like there’s no way the Cards will trade him. Either Boldin was told to play along so the Cards will have an easier time trying to find a trade partner, or his stance really has changed and he wants to remain in ‘Zona.

Jay Cutler plans to show up to Broncos’ mandatory workouts

Even though his situation with head coach Josh McDaniels and the Broncos is extremely rocky right now, quarterback Jay Cutler still plans on showing up at Denver’s mandatory workouts.

Jay CutlerI was able to communicate with Cutler Monday afternoon. He indicated to me that he still plans to be in Denver for the Broncos mini-camp in April. That’s the earliest he’s required to report without being in violation of his contract. So far, Cutler has skipped the Broncos voluntary workouts that began a week ago Monday.

Cutler also let me know that he saw parts of Josh McDaniels’ interview with the NFL Network on Monday. In that interview, McDaniels stated several times that Cutler is his quarterback and he hopes to keep the lines of communication open to resolve their differences. When asked if he thought the situation was reparable, McDaniels said yes.

Cutler had no comment on McDaniels’ interview.

Considering word leaked yesterday that Cutler didn’t return a text message that McDaniels recently sent him, this all seems like Cutler is trying to save face. He clearly wants out of Denver and is going to great lengths in order to accomplish that. So him all of a sudden saying that he plans on showing up to workouts seems strange, unless he figures that this will help him get traded faster.

NFL Sunday Ticket to be available to non-satellite customers

This is something that will make my TSR cohort John Paulsen happy…

Greg JenningsThe National Football League announced Monday an agreement to extend DirecTV’s rights to carry the NFL Sunday Ticket through the 2014 NFL season.

As part of the agreement, NFL fans who are not subscribers of DirectTV will be able to purchase the Sunday afternoon game package.

This service will be offered no later than 2012.

The NFL also announced it will offer fans (also no later than 2012) a new “Red Zone Channel” that shows live cut-ins of all Sunday afternoon games starting at 1 p.m. and continuing through the conclusion of the 4 p.m. games. The “Red Zone Channel,” which has been part of the service on DirecTV for the last four years, will be available to cable, telco and satellite systems, wireless devices, and the Internet.

…but he’ll apparently have to wait until 2012 to get it.

Owens skips Bills’ first voluntary workout

Terrell Owens was not in attendance for the beginning of the Bills’ offseason workouts, which took place Monday morning.

Terrell OwensOwens’ absence was not a big concern for Bills strength and conditioning coach John Allaire.

Stressing that the program is voluntary, Allaire said he was already impressed with the shape Owens was in when the two met shortly before the player signed with the Bills on March 7.

“He’s a physical specimen,” Allaire said. “He has a very good history of being in shape, ready to go. We’re not anticipating anything different this year.”

Having reviewed Owens’ workout program, Allaire said the two are “on the same page” and there isn’t much he needs to address.

Allaire would only say, “we’ll see,” when asked whether he expects Owens to take part in the 12-week conditioning program.

This situation shouldn’t be made into a big deal. As Allaire points out, T.O. is always in phenomenal shape. If this were a player that had previous weight and conditioning issues, then it would be a big deal. But Owens has never showed up to training camp out of shape and I don’t think he’ll do it this year.

But if you want to play devil’s advocate, then yeah, it would have been nice for Owens to show up on his first day and meet his new teammates. We don’t know what other obligations he had, but if they were minor, would it have killed him to show up on the first day and show a little good faith to the team that took a chance on him?

Update: Apparently Owens was absent because he is in D.C. receiving an award for raising awareness about Alzheimer’s Disease. Well done T.O., well done.

2009 MLB Preview: #16 Chicago White Sox

Click Here to see Previews of all 30 MLB Teams

Offseason Movement: GM Kenny Williams made a pair of trades that could help the Sox in the near future. Williams first traded outfielder Nick Swisher to the Yankees for Jeff Marquez and Wilson Betemit, then dealt veteran pitcher Javier Vazquez to Atlanta for catching prospect Tyler Flowers and infielder Brent Lillibridge. Marquez has a chance to earn the fifth spot in the rotation, although a hamstring injury could hold him back. The Sox also added veteran pitcher Bartolo Colon and young Cuban defector Dayan Viciedo.

Top Prospect: Gordon Beckham, SS
Beckham helped lead Georgia to a second-place finish at last year’s College World Series, hitting .474 with five dingers and 2 RBI in 14 games. At one point during the college season last year, he was also tied for the Division I lead for home runs with 28. Thus far in spring training, Beckham is 6-for-18 with four doubles and two home runs. The 22-year old prospect probably won’t make the Opening Day roster, but once he learns how to play second after making the switch from shortstop in college, Beckham is going to be playing big league ball.

Continue reading »

« Older posts Newer posts »