Author: Anthony Stalter (Page 775 of 1503)

Iyer: Six teams that make sense for Vick

Vinnie Iyer of the Sporting News details six teams that make sense as fits for Michael Vick.

Iyer does a nice job of detailing why each of the six teams (49ers, Dolphins, Jaguars, Raiders, Redskins, Seahawks) might eventually seek Vick’s services. But of the six, I’d put my money on these two teams:

Oakland Raiders. This is a make-or-break year for JaMarcus Russell, and if Russell falters, 39-year-old Jeff Garcia is only a stopgap solution. Owner/G.M. Al Davis historically has taken chances on super-athletic players, even those with a resume of indiscretions. Vick’s strong arm and speed would be the initial attraction, but his running ability fits right in with the team’s deep and talented backfield.

Seattle Seahawks. Even though coach Jim Mora has said Seattle’s current quarterback situation wouldn’t prompt the team to go after Vick, it might be different if injuries continue to hamper Matt Hasselbeck, who turns 34 in September and has a history of back problems. The Seahawks already have a Vick-like QB in backup Seneca Wallace, but of all the offenses out there Vick would have the easiest time under Mora and Greg Knapp, his former coach and coordinator from Atlanta.

The Raiders are an easy fit for the obvious reasons: They don’t care about character, they’ve taken in delinquents before, Al Davis is bat-sh*t crazy, etc.

But the Seahawks make a lot of sense for one key reason: Jim Mora.

Now, Mora did confirm in early June that Seattle isn’t interested in Vick. But all he said was that the Seahawks were “very happy” with the quarterbacks they have on their roster.

Don’t forget that while coaching in Atlanta, Mora treated Vick like a childhood friend and often came to his defense when others criticized the inconsistent quarterback. Granted, that alone doesn’t mean that Mora would be willing to take on all of Vick’s baggage now, but considering that Matt Hasselbeck is coming off a serious back injury and Seneca Wallace proved last year that he’ll probably never be anything more than a backup, maybe Mora will eventually warm up to the idea. If anyone believed they could help turn Vick’s life around, it could be Mora, someone who already has a relationship with the troubled QB.

Of course, Vick still has to be reinstated before any team can sign him. It’s a waiting game now.

MLB Trade Rumors: Vazquez, Halladay, Sanchez & more

– While the Braves are targeting a bat, GM Frank Wren doesn’t think that the club will be sellers around the trade deadline and although he is thought to be Atlanta’s best trade piece, it appears that pitcher Javier Vazquez might be staying put.

– It appears that Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi is putting the squeeze on teams that want to acquire Roy Halladay. Ricciardi said that his trade deadline for Halladay will be sooner than the July 31 MLB deadline, seeing as how it’s going to take a massive offer for any club to acquire the ace.

– Due to Randy Johnson’s health concerns, it appears that the Giants will probably hang onto starter Jonathan Sanchez, who threw a no hitter in his second to last outing. A couple of weeks ago it seemed like Sanchez’s days in San Fran were surely numbered, but maybe the Big Unit’s injury was a blessing in disguise because Sanchez appears to have fixed a lot of the control issues that has haunted him over his career.

– Larry Beinfest and the Marlins still can’t decide whether or not they’re buyers or sellers. If they’re buyers, they reportedly are interested in a closer, possibly the Pirates’ Matt Capps.

– The Dodgers are in the market for a reliever and names like Francisco Cordero, Matt Capps, George Sherrill and Arthur Rhodes have been linked to the boys in blue.

– Tom Gage of the Detroit News doesn’t think the first-place Tigers will make a major move around the trade deadline.

– Even though the Rangers are currently in contention, the Star-Telegram says that Texas is reluctant to trade away any of its prospects in order to make a move for a pitcher.

MacPhail: MLB buyers and sellers

SI.com’s Andy MacPhail put together a small list of MLB teams that should either buy or sell as the trade deadline nears.

Of the teams he discussed (which also include the Blue Jays, Mariners, Orioles and Brewers), MacPhail seems to be way off in his assessment of the Mets:

Mets: SELL
44-48, 9 games back in East, 6 1/2 games back in wild card.
The Mets held on as long as they could without Jose Reyes and Carlos Delgado, but once Carlos Beltran joined them on the disabled list, their season was lost. Since all three will not be coming back anytime soon, it’s highly doubtful the Mets will be able to make a legitimate run at the postseason. There may not be much to sell on this team — the core is still very impressive — but dealing prospects or taking on salary with a team going nowhere has burned the Mets before, like in 2005 when they traded stud prospect Scott Kazmir to the Rays for the middling Victor Zambrano.

Just what do the Mets have to sell with all of their tradable pieces being on the DL? They’re obviously not going to trade David Wright, Johan Santana or Francisco Rodriguez, so who would they be able to offer in a trade – Gary Sheffield? Come on.

Unfortunately for the Mets, they’re stuck in a holding pattern right now. Reyes, Delgado, Beltran, John Maine, Billy Wagner and J.J. Putz are all currently on the DL with various alignments and with each passing day, they slip further and further out of contention. They’re just going to have to view this season as a wash and regroup for next year.

One thing is for sure though – they’re not going to be “selling” anything in the next two weeks.

Vick should take whatever he can get

Michael Vick is officially a free man these days after being released from federal custody on Monday at his home in Virginia. He now will wait to see if NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will reinstate him into the league.

In the meantime, Vick, per ESPN.com, doesn’t want to play in Canada and “hasn’t entertained any thoughts” of joining the UFL. He’s also focused on playing quarterback if he’s reinstated (this coming from NFL.com).

Come again? Isn’t this the same Michael Vick who just spent two years in a federal penitentiary for setting up an illegal dog-fighting ring in his backyard and subsequently lying to Goodell when probed about the subject?

Granted, these are just reports and there’s a possibility that Vick never stated that he only wants to play quarterback in the NFL. After all, these aren’t actual quotes from Vick so maybe the national media is just drumming up a story that parallels his release from federal custody.

But if I’m Vick, if the freaking Toronto Argonauts need a backup punter I would be open to doing it. He’s 29 years old, hasn’t played a down of football in two years and committed one of the most heinous acts the professional sports world has seen in some time. So I would take what you can get, Mikey – especially considering that half the NFL has already stated it doesn’t want you for anything (not even a backup punter).

If Vick truly believes that he’s just going to walk back into the NFL, assume a starting quarterback role and be paid like a starting quarterback, than he’s more naïve than any of us ever imagined.

Lawyer denies sexual assault allegations against Roethlisberger

According to Profootballtalk at NBC Sports, a civil lawsuit alleging sexual assault has been filed against Ben Roethlisberger, although the quarterback’s lawyer is denying that Big Ben has done anything wrong. A Nevada Harrah’s employee named Andrea McNulty filed the lawsuit.

Lawyer David Cornwell acknowledged the suit but defended Big Ben to PFT, releasing this statement: “Ben has never sexually assaulted anyone.”

He also underscored that no criminal charges were pending. “The timing of the lawsuit and the absence of a criminal complaint and a criminal investigation are the most compelling evidence of the absence of any criminal conduct,” Cornwell said. “If an investigation is commenced, Ben will cooperate fully and Ben will be fully exonerated.”

Roethlisberger is potentially staring at one civil count of assault, one civil count of sexual assault and battery, one civil count of false imprisonment, one civil count of false pretenses, one civil count of fraud, and one civil count of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

According to the PFT article, McNulty alleges that Roethlisberger asked her to come to his hotel room to fix the television and thereafter forced her to have sex with him. But who knows? Is she telling the truth or is she making things up because he’s a star athlete with an exorbitant amount of money?

It is important not to jump to conclusions here. Big Ben hasn’t been convicted of anything and until more details are released, we shouldn’t assume anything. For all we know, this is just a huge misunderstanding and Roethlisberger will be cleared of any wrongdoing.

« Older posts Newer posts »