Lewis, Ochocinco finally speak

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis says that he has spoken with Chad Ochocinco and that he anticipates the receiver showing up for the team’s June 18 minicamp.

Lewis acknowledged after Tuesday’s practice that he talked to Ochocinco a few days ago, a rarity in an offseason Ochocinco has been ducking calls from the 513 area code.

“The biggest thing I told Chad just the other day is with a lot of the new things we’re doing he’s going to have to play catch up,” Lewis said. “He’s excited about that and is working hard. Chad learns football very quickly and he’ll be able to get his feet on the ground. What he found last year when you’re working with a team and you’re doing football, there’s a lot more stress on it. When he gets here I will judge how much football I’ll allow him to do until he proves he’s in the shape our players are in.”

The Ocho didn’t report until mandatories last year, which he limped through because he needed arthroscopic ankle surgery. Then after missing the first week of training camp, he missed the last two weeks of the preseason with a separated shoulder.

Asked if The Ocho is going to be his starting receiver in two weeks, Lewis said, “I’ll see him when I see him.”

It’s about time Ochocinco earns a starting spot. It’s been a long time since he’s had to work for a starting gig and this is the perfect offseason for Lewis to drum up some much-needed competition in Bengals camp. Ironically, the person likely to give Ochocinco his biggest competition is Chris Henry, who has apparently been outstanding so far in workouts.

If Ochocinco shows up to camp and outperforms Henry, then he deserves the starting gig. But if Henry beats him, then Ochocinco should accept his role (whatever it may be) and stop being a distraction.

Follow the Scores Report editors on Twitter @clevelandteams and @bullzeyedotcom.

Related Posts