Category: News (Page 139 of 199)

Amare Stoudemire staying in Phoenix?

When asked whether or not he’ll make a move prior to the February trade deadline, Suns GM Steve Kerr said the following (via FanHouse)…

“I don’t think we’re going to do anything,” he said. “I’m pretty happy with this group.”

Kerr was asked if that means Stoudemire, who can opt out of his contract next summer and become a free agent, is safe from being moved.

“I’d be pretty surprised if we did anything,” Kerr said. “We’re playing well. You always want to get better and you never say never (regarding a move). But we’re playing well.”

For his part, Stoudemire says that he’s not sure that he’s going to opt out at the end of the season.

“I’m right in the middle,’ he said. “There’s no particular way I’m leaning.”

“It’s up to them to approach me about whatever situation they think, whatever they’re thinking,” Stoudemire said. “Until then, I’m just going to keep playing and keep trying to win. The ball is pretty much in their court. Whenever they’re ready to discuss anything, just let me know. If not, I’m just going to keep playing.”

What a difference winning makes. The Suns are 16-8, an impressive mark considering Phoenix has only played eight home games thus far. They’re getting good play from Stoudemire (19-8, 56% shooting), Steve Nash (18-3-11, 53%) and Jason Richardson (16-5-2, career-high 48% shooting). Grant Hill (12-6-2) and Channing Frye (12-6) round out a pretty balanced starting five.

If the Suns can keep winning, Kerr is unlikely to make any moves. I’ve been hard on him over the last couple of seasons (mainly for trading Shawn Marion and letting Mike D’Antoni slip away), but the proof is in the pudding. He realized that the Shaq trade got the Suns away from what they do best — push the ball. The Suns are running again (4th in the NBA in pace) and that style suits their personnel.

If Amare is still on the roster after the trade deadline, then it’s up to the Suns to decide whether or not they want to commit to him long term. He’s still likely to opt-out, especially if he stays healthy and continues to play well. There are too many teams with salary cap space to let an opportunity for a long-term contract pass him by.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Woods to skip the Chevron World Challenge

According to the GolfChannel.com, Tiger Woods will not compete in this week’s Chevron World Challenge following his accident early Friday morning.

According to sources close to the situation, Tiger Woods will not play this week’s Chevron World Challenge in the wake of last week’s accident outside his Isleworth home.

There has been no announcement on Woods’ Web site.

For the second consecutive year the world No. 1 will not be playing the event that benefits the Tiger Woods Foundation. He missed the tournament last year while recovering from knee surgery.

It remains unclear whether doctors will allow him to travel to California from Florida later this week.

According to sources, doctors have advised him that he should not travel due to headaches and soreness.

This isn’t surprising in the least. Regardless of his physical alignments, Tiger wasn’t going to put himself in position to be surrounded by the media for a couple days just one week after his accident. It’s best for him to lay low for a while and let his situation settle in before he tries to go out in the public eye (not to mention play golf).

The media will have to wait a little longer to probe Tiger with an onslaught of questions that stand little chance to be answered.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

Report: Police want search warrant in Tiger Woods case

According to TMZ.com, the Florida Highway Patrol is trying to obtain a search warrant in Tiger Woods’ case after three failed attempts to talk to him about what happened during his accident on Friday morning.

One big piece of evidence showing probable cause … sources tell us Tiger’s wife, Elin Nordegren told FHP troopers she went looking for Tiger in a golf cart, came upon the accident and then used a golf club to break the window to gain entry. That’s a very different story from what she first told Windemere cops shortly after the accident — she never mentioned a golf cart. Nordegren told Windemere police she had walked out of her house, saw the crash, went back inside to get a golf club and returned to the vehicle.

And there’s more … although alcohol was not involved, Tiger was in and out of consciousness and TMZ has already reported Tiger told a friend he was taking prescription meds for pain, which could be evidence of DUI. This, too, could constitute probable cause to obtain a warrant.

The Florida Highway Patrol will have to go to court and show probable cause that a crime had been committed in order to receive a warrant. That may or may not be hard to prove.

There has been something off about this situation from the start and it may be awhile before the real story comes out (if it every does, that is). The problem is that some media will run with whatever little rumor they uncover (or fabricate) and it’ll muddy what really happened. Either way, Tigers’ rep will likely take a hit for the time being, but the public has a short memory and will eventually forget about this once he starts winning championships again.


Photo from fOTOGLIF

« Older posts Newer posts »