Report: Colts pursuing Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins
The Indianapolis Colts are looking to upgrade a very depleted roster and thus, are trying to acquire Dallas Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins according to Adam Schefter.
The Indianapolis Colts have made multiple trade offers to the Dallas Cowboys in an effort to acquire disgruntled cornerback Mike Jenkins, and the last one remains on the table, according to a league source.
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said this week that Dallas would not trade Jenkins. But another NFL source familiar with the situation said he believed a trade could be worked out for the right price.
It was predictable that the Cowboys came out and said that they had no intentions of trading Jenkins after trading up for LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne in April’s draft. Why anger Jenkins more than he already is?
That said, it’s hard to believe that Dallas isn’t at least entertaining trading Jenkins. With the NFL being a passing league now, every team would love to have three quality cornerbacks on their roster. But Jenkins has already demanded a trade and he’s not going to play second-fiddle to the Cowboys’ new corners (Claiborne and Brandon Carr). Thus, it’s in their best interest to move Jenkins while he still has some trade value.
Jenkins didn’t play well in 2010 and was inconsistent last year, but the talent is there and maybe he just needs a new scheme and a new city. He would be a nice fit for the Colts depending on the compensation. Anything more than a third-round pick would be too much.
Report: Bucs, Bears and Redskins all interested in Vincent Jackson
There have been conflicting reports over the last 24 hours about which teams are the supposed frontrunners to acquire free agent receiver Vincent Jackson. But this much is sure: V-Jax will have plenty of suitors when the NFL free agency period kicks off on Tuesday.
Over the weekend, The SidelineView.com’s Lance Zierlein said that the “belief around the league” is that the Redskins will go “very hard” after Jackson following their trade with the Rams for the No. 2 overall pick. Washington is in desperate need of playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and without a first round pick in 2013 and 2014, the Skins need to be aggressive in free agency. After all, Robert Griffin III will need a big target to throw to when the Redskins draft him with the second overall pick in late April. (Or at least, that’s what the supposed plan is in Washington.)
The Redskins were also mentioned by the Union-Tribune San Diego as one of the two teams believed by them to be the frontrunners for Jackson. The other team mentioned in the Union-Tribune’s report was the Bears, who have been in need of a prototypical No. 1 receiver for what seems like the existence of their franchise.
Ironically, there was a story in Monday’s Chicago Sun Times that conflicts with the Union-Tribune’s report. According to the Sun Times, the Buccaneers have the “inside track” when it comes to signing V-Jax, and not the Bears. Tampa Bay has loads of cap space and a definite need at receiver, so the Sun Times’ report may have legs. That said, it’s not uncommon that reports conflict with each other around this time of year, as player representatives try to build a market for their clients.
Jackson is now the face of a very deep wide receiver pool in this year’s free agent class, especially with Wes Welker (franchised/Patriots), Dwayne Bowe (franchised/Chiefs), DeSean Jackson (franchised/Eagles) and Steve Johnson (re-signed/Bills) off the market. Reggie Wayne (Colts), Marques Colston (Saints), Brandon Lloyd (Rams), Robert Meachem (Saints) and Mario Manningham (Giants) are all unrestricted and will be available on Tuesday. Mike Wallace is a restricted free agent, but if a team is will to part with a first-round pick he might become available due to the Steelers’ cap issues.
Seahawks offered two picks for Kevin Kolb?
Dave Mahler of 950 KJR in Seattle tweets that he the Seahawks have offered the Eagles a first and a third round pick for quarterback Kevin Kolb. Mahler says that he hears this “from a source.”
But following his tweet, Mahler did qualify his statements via his Facebook page:
“Deal I reported yesterday was made sometime in the last 4 months..I think it says more about where Hasselbeck is on the priority list in Seattle than it does about the chances of Kolb coming. Eagles since offer have also reportedly expresssed desire to trade for players instead of picks.”
Speaking of Hasselbeck, the Nashville Tennessean’s Jim Wyatt writes that Hasselbeck could still be on the Titans’ radar.
“I’m talking about three members of the front office, all have ties to Seattle,” Wyatt said. “They know Matt Hasselbeck. Likely Jake Locker knows Matt Hasselbeck because he’s worked with him.”
Re-signing Kerry Collins would make a lot of sense for the Titans, although it’s not like the new coaching staff has an allegiance to Collins so maybe Hasselbeck would be a fit there. Either way, the Titans need to bring in a veteran quarterback to help take some of the pressure off Locker’s shoulders. Even if it’s a forgone conclusion that a rookie will start, no head coach wants to just hand a young player a job without making him earn it first. (Especially a young quarterback as raw as Locker.)
Getting back to Seattle, I wonder if the Hawks will eventually decide to bypass trading for Kolb and give Charlie Whitehurst a chance to succeed as the full-time starter. Outside of his solid play against the Rams in Week 17 last year (a game that won the NFC West and lifted Seattle into the playoffs), it’s not like Whitehurst has shown that he deserves a full-time opportunity. But the Seahawks did trade a third-round pick and swapped second rounders with San Diego to acquire him from the Chargers in 2010, so they may decide to give him a shot.
We’ll see. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Kolb when the lockout finally lifts.
Broncos want premium pick for Orton?
NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora writes that the Broncos aren’t going to part with quarterback Kyle Orton for a third or fourth round pick like some are suggesting.
There’s no doubt Orton’s internal value is high and his $8.5 million contract is sufficiently low. You can have him at the right price — Denver is obviously rebuilding, needs picks and Orton is in the final year of his extension — but it won’t be cheap.
If the right call comes in and the offer is strong, it will be considered, according to sources. But the idea that a third- or fourth-round pick might get it done is woefully misguided. A high second-round pick that converts to a first-rounder based on production, now that could be a different story.
La Canfora can be shaky at times when it comes to projections for players or teams, but he speaks the truth here.
Let’s not make Orton out to be Peyton Manning. Peyton he is not. But surround him with enough talent in the offense and the guy can win. During his three seasons with the Bears, he was 21-12 as a starter. In 2009, his first year in Denver, he threw for 3,802 yards, completed 62.1% of his passes and finished with an 86.8 QB rating. Last year, he finished with an 87.5 QB rating.
No, Peyton he is not. But the guy is serviceable and he’s a starting quarterback in the league. As La Canfora points out, he has value to the Broncos and they’re not going to trade him away for third or fourth round pick just because Tim Tebow is waiting in the wings. Teams often have success when they can foster competition all over their roster – especially at quarterback.
Granted, if the Broncos can get a second, or a second that converts to a first like La Canfora suggests, then by all means: trade him. But until then there’s no point in giving him away for spare parts.
Cardinals interested in Kyle Orton?
According to Rotoworld (via 3TV News in Phoenix), the Cardinals have had preliminary contact with the Broncos about quarterback Kyle Orton’s availability.
Profootballtalk’s Gregg Rosenthal has it on good authority that teams can discuss trades “generally” even if following through isn’t yet allowed. Neither team is breaking the rules by engaging in hot-stove talk. The Broncos reportedly believe the Cardinals’ interest in Orton is strictly as a “Plan B” in case a deal can’t be worked out for Kevin Kolb. It’s refreshing to hear Arizona’s fallback plan is more than just a wink-and-nod understanding with Marc Bulger.
Orton would certainly be a better option than Bulger, who hasn’t taken a snap since 2009 and hasn’t been effective since 2006. Orton can put up good numbers in any offense and would probably flourish with a couple of key playmakers around him. As Rotoworld points out, he would be a nice fallback option for the Cards if they couldn’t acquire Kevin Kolb from Philly.