No surprise here: Defending champs Alabama has the No. 1 ranking in the preseason Coaches Poll.
From FOX Sports.com:
Boise State will begin the season ranked No. 5. The Broncos, like Alabama, finished last season 14-0. They beat TCU in the Fiesta Bowl.
The Crimson Tide got 55 of 59 possible first-place votes. The other four went to Ohio State, which is No. 2 in the newspaper’s ranking.
Florida is third, followed by Texas, which lost to Alabama in the BCS title game in January.
Virginia Tech is sixth, followed by TCU, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Iowa to round out the top 10.
Nos. 11 through 15 are Oregon, Wisconsin, Miami, Penn State and Pittsburgh. They are followed by LSU, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Arkansas and Florida State, which will be without Bobby Bowden as coach for the first time in 35 years.
With all that has happened in college football over the past couple of months, it’s hard to fathom that actual games will be starting in a few weeks. Football is almost upon us!
Couple things that I’m interested in seeing:
- How TCU bounces back from its dud in the Fiesta Bowl.
- How Texas QB Garrett Gilbert fairs in his first full season after getting thrown to the wolves in the BCS title game.
- What the Tim Tebow-less Gators will look like (it’s felt like an eternity since Tebow wasn’t the one taking snaps from under center).
- What Mark Ingram has in store for an encore performance.
- What Nebraska’s defense looks like without Ndamukong Suh, who was perhaps the most dominant defensive player in college football last year.
What has your attention heading into the new college season?
Follow the Scores Report editors on Twitter @TheScoresReport. You can also follow TSR editor Gerardo Orlando @clevelandteams and @bullzeyedotcom, and you can follow TSR editor Anthony Stalter @AnthonyStalter.